Does raw tuna create Nitates inside the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMOOOZZZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found out the hard way that raw shrimp spiked up the Nitrates and I have done six 90% water changes in my 30 gallon tank and the reading still show low levels of Nitrates & Nitrites. I want to feed my two cichlids Albino Oscar & tiger Oscar some raw fish once a week, does Raw Tuna harm the water levels?

And any advise how I can get my levels back to normal? It has been 1 month since my problem and have changed water like i mentioned above took out plants & decorations out to rinse and on every water change I vacuum gravel.

How big are the oscars at this point?

My guess is that, being in a tank that is vastly too small for them, the amount of waste produced is causing your levels to skyrocket in that small amount of water. Your filter may simply be unable to cope with the amount. If you want to keep a pair of oscars, I'd get a 125g or larger aquarium, with copious amounts of filtration.

Unless they're in something other than the 30g you mentioned. If that's the case, disregard. Tuna by itself will not raise the levels, the waste that it is turned into will, like any other food.

Any type of deteriorating food with produce waste. Large water changes is the only thing you can do to bring the water parameters down. You don't NEED to feed the raw fish. A high quality pellet food is sufficient, with an occasional frozen treat like bloodworms, or beaf heart..

Even if you add raw fish, it will have to start decaying to add ammonia to the water in order to create the nitrites / nitrates. If you remove the uneaten food after an hour or so it will be fine. The problem is the bio load on the tank. What size of tank do you have and how large are the oscars?

Thank for your reply my tank is 30 gallon, I bought a 55 gallon cycle should be done in about 2 weeks. My oscars are still small especially my Albino. I plan on putting the tiger in the larger tank and leaving Albino in the 30 gallon. I haven't feed them raw fish for over a month.

Sorry but I don't understand the feeder comment.

What was meant is to use feeder fish, usually guppies, white cloud minnows, or gold fish for feeding to your oscars. If you choose to go that route I would suggest that you go with a reputable lfs (not chain store) that has immaculately cleaned tanks for their feeders. Any diseases that are present in feeder fish can be transferred to your oscars.

Also, Oscars can grow to be about 12 inches long; so a 30g isn't considered a large enough tank for a full grown oscar

Trouble is, if you condition them to eat live fish when they are young, you're going to have trouble down the track if you want to change to processed or frozen foods. Freeze dried and frozen foods are certified free of disease, but bought feeder fish can and often do carry intestinal worms and other diseases and parasites which then get passed on to your beloved fish.

I think you'd be better off going with the suggestion of training them to take food from your hand. It will take patience and perseverance, but how rewarding will the result be! :)

Back
Top Bottom