Dragonfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mendhigirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay,just returned from my LFS and my husband HAD to have 2 dragonfish.So they are now giving me dirty looks from the bottom of my 10g.The lady at the LFS said a 10g with my water conditions would be perfect for them( I brought a water sample)But she said to feed them any flake food?Does anyone know what else these creatures eat,or if any salt is desirable in the water,and what temp is best???Are they compatible with anything else,and since they are about 6in. and 4in.would I be over crowding to add anyone else???
I need sooooo much help!!
Thanks everyone!

Well, hate to say it but a 6 inch fish in a 10 gallon is pushing it. I would not add anything else. I dont know what a dragon fish is, but I am guessing it gets bigger. I think you may have trouble.

Well together they are about 10inches.The uppermost limit for the tank,I know,but the LFS tried to talk me into a few others to go with them! I checked around the net,and the dragons are actually violet gobies. And they get BIG!!!!! I will be moving them into a bigger tank straight away!

gobies are saltwater fish. So you were researching a dragonfish, that is the wrong species. So keep trying. If you can describe him it may help

According to the research that I just did. A dragonfish is an Arowana. If what you have purchased are Arowana the get extremely large, Up to 48"+. They are a wonderful fish though, if you have the room to house them. Do they have an upturned mouth?? Here is a sight with an Arowana picture. http://sunflower.singnet.com.sg/~deswong/

Ok. I did a little more research for you. I guess I should have finished the research before I posted. Violet Gobies are "also" called dragon fish. And the are a brackish fish which addapts well to FW. They do well within a community but will bully each other, so the are best as singles. They grow to 15-18". I am betting the farm that this is what you have. Great fish, They need alot more than 10 gallons, for sure. Heres a page on violet gobies for you to check out. http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/wild/dragon_fish.htm

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/who/mystery_feb.jpg

This is a picture of what I know as a dragon fish, it is a gobie (there are both FW and SW gobies) Gobioides broussonetti.

http://honors.montana.edu/~weif/firsttank/interestingfish.phtml said:
[center:4e8e09e4d1]The Dragon Fish[/center:4e8e09e4d1]
The dragon fish, or violet goby (Gobioides broussonetti) is a North and Central American brackish water fish. They get to be up to 2 feet long and may hunt smaller fish. They strongly prefer live or frozen invertebrates as food, though in some cases they may be trainable onto freeze dried foods, or even processed foods. Provide them with plenty of hiding places and dim light.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/aquafish/reference/f23.asp said:
Q. I have a dragon fish (Gobioides broussonetti) that is approximately 7 inches in length. It is kept in a 30-gallon brackish aquarium. My problem is that I cannot find any information on it other than what it eats. I would like to know more about its habits so that I could try breeding it, if possible.

A. This is one of those unusual fish (or creatures) that is so ugly it's cute. It is generally seen in aquarium stores as a 5- to 9-inch, slender-bodied fish that sits out in the middle of the gravel, ignoring other fish that swim near by. The biggest problem with this species is that it does not stay the same as it matures. Oh yes, it does stay ugly and might even get uglier, but it grows to almost 2 feet in length and eats almost anything it can get into its not too small mouth.

It is a member of the family Gobidae, and the American Fisheries Society has given it the official common name of the violet goby. Dragon fish is a trade name to help it sell. The primary range of this fish seems to be the low-salinity, muddy marsh habitats of the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. It can be found on offshore sand bottoms and will ascend rivers to pure freshwater. Its range is from Charleston, South Carolina, all along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

To my knowledge, it has not been successfully bred in the home aquarium, but it should not be too difficult if a large enough tank is provided and both sexes are present. I cannot even tell you how to determine the sex of the fish, as the only times I have seen mature fish in any quantity have been in collecting seines in southern Mexico. If I had to guess, I would give them a large tank filled with hard, alkaline water with a small amount of salt in it. Aquascaping could consist of a shallow layer of sand, a couple of large rocks and some pieces of driftwood. An efficient power filter should be used on the tank. Feed the fish heavily on worms, shrimp, scraped beef heart and cut fish. From then on, I would follow proper aquarium maintenance techniques and let nature take its course. Perhaps, if you are truly interested in this fish, you will be able to spawn them.

—Al Castro

d9hp said:
gobies are saltwater fish. So you were researching a dragonfish, that is the wrong species. So keep trying. If you can describe him it may help

Species of gobies are SW, just as many that are SW are FW.

Yes,it is a violet goby.I really am upset that the LFS told me a 10g would be a good place to put them,and if they don't get along well with other dragons,why did they tell me to get 2?? I am moving them to a 55g once my cycle is complete,and I am making it a brackish,so they will be happy.Thanks for all of the help! BTW,what do these things eat?The pet store(with thier bad advice)told me any flake food would be good.That is one thing I haven't seen on these websites!Thay say shrimp pellets or brine shrimp,or worms.No one has said flakes!

I have had a dragon goby for about 4 years now. He is a gorgeous fish! He is about 18" long. They are filter feeders, meaning they go along the gravel sucking in water through their mouth &whatever food gets in, hewill eat. The only thing I haven't seen himeat is flakes. He loves black/tubifex worms & believe it or not...algae wafers! He will also use the fin under his chin as a scoop to move the gravel around to siphon through the gravel with his mouth for goodies.

I think they look like the creature that pops out of the guy's chest in the movie, Alien.

I think they look like the creature that pops out of the guy's chest in the movie, Alien.

schild09.gif
Thanks for the visual!!
schild86.gif

Iwant an arowana and just found this thread, I understand some are ilegal though, the asian ones to import to the states.

Pufferpunk said:
I have had a dragon goby for about 4 years now. He is a gorgeous fish! He is about 18" long. They are filter feeders, meaning they go along the gravel sucking in water through their mouth &whatever food gets in, hewill eat. The only thing I haven't seen himeat is flakes. He loves black/tubifex worms & believe it or not...algae wafers! He will also use the fin under his chin as a scoop to move the gravel around to siphon through the gravel with his mouth for goodies.

some dumb questions for you! :)

brackish?
if so sg?
salt company?
how many and what kind of puffers do you have?

OK folks..I try to keep my cool when I hear things like "another uniformed LFS clerk". MOST of us are informed and would not sell anything as described above. Yes there are uninformed LFS clerks. Try to find a LFS that DOES have the proper knowledge. I would take our V.Gobies back to where you bought them and complain to the Owner or Manager (not just the clerk). I would also not listen to their (poor) advice either. :roll: ..and find another more informed LFS.

I had a violet goby and fed him shrimp pellets and ghost shrip. I hardly ever saw him eat though... maybe they like to eat at night??

sadly he fell ill and died

Gobies are called DRAGONFISH too, but the DRAGONFISH we are talking about here are the AROWANA dragon fish. a very mystical creature in Chinese culture.
Legalities, and where to buyone near WA state?

i believe the post starter was actually talking about a violet goby. i have a silver arowana also though. hes my pride and joy, he's about 12" now.

i think the only legal arowanas are the silver arowana.

Meow, dragons are hard to feed, because they can only eat whatever food falls in front of it. There is no way it could catch a ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom