drastic water temp change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannon m

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
we lost our heat for 2 nights and our water temp went from 80 to 60 over night . They seem to be ok but it has increased the algea in our tank alot. would it be ok to clean the tank or will it stress our fish out too much since the water temp is still down?

Well, I would slowly raise the temp...2-3 degrees a day...and give them a couple of days to settle, then I would scrub the algae.

I agree with Imw80 (which means?).
Raise the temperature slowly and don't worry about the algae for now.
It ain't pretty, but the fish tend not to mind. Jeff

thanks for the advice. but i didn't have a reply quickly and I raised the temp 10 degrees through the first day after we got our gas filled. What should i do now? My fish seem ok with it. The swordtail seems alittle upset, but is still eating

Also when I clean the tank how do i get the algae out? Is there a trick for the fake plants?We have been fighting this since we set it up.Do you take the fish out for the water changes?

Just sit pretty then. Your fish sound all right. Eating is a good sign.
With regard to water changes, siphon some off and replace and leave the fish be.
With regard to algae, you might need to call in an algae eater. I like Plecos myself, but Ottos and SAE's do a pretty good job too. Glass you can clean with a sponge and the plastic plants will survive a trip through the dishwasher.
How much light is the tank getting. Sounds like it could be close to a window. If so, see if you can block some of the sunlight. In addition, try turning the lights on for a shorter period of time. Jeff

Thank you for the advise. I have the tank beside a window, but its not real close and the light isn't getting in too much. Does cooler temps make algae grow faster? I really don't want to loose anymore fish. I have gotten attatched and I love them. I cried when I lost the others.

What size heater do you have? Your temp should not drop 20 degrees unless it got extreamly cold in your house. I see from you other posts you have a 30 gal. Should have at least a 150 watt heater.

Someone who knows more than me can probably say something about why your algae bloomed after the cold spell.... I am pretty sure, however, that the window is at least part of the algae problem. I am not sure how to spell it, but I think your tank requires a dosy dosy, patience and a bit less light.
You didn't mention in your earlier note about the loss of fish... What happened there? Jeff

ich attacked my White mollies and they infected the others. That was weeks ago though. Then 1 wk ago I change 50% of water and lost a danio. And the night we lost the heat another came up missing cant find anywhere!!!! The house got down to 35 or 40 degrees. the heater couldn't keep up I guess. It does fine when house is heated correctly.As for the watt. I don't know it came in the kit from wal-mart for the 29 gal. I can't seem to get it right and about ready to give up!!!

A 50 percent water change, unless you absolutely have to, is I think quite a bit too much. And if you do have to change so much water, make sure the new water is at a decent temperature, treated with dechlorninator and if at all possible aged.
Heat going out in the house you can't do much about. Your heater is probably adequate, but if you are worried about the heat crashing again -- I know the feeling -- a second heater of about the same size would be fine.
Ich is ich. It comes and goes and it probably either came with a new arrival or after a particularly stressful time for the fish. The thing to do is get it early. Many people on this board recommend heat and salt to treat ich. I don't use this method as I can't get my water temperature high enough. Anyway, I'd just sit pretty. Things will go better. Tanks will just take on an almost self-sufficient groove, only requiring a minimum amount of maintenance such as a 10 percent water change each week. My suggestion to you is just wait and see. Don't get any more fish. Keep up with the water changes. See if you can minimize the sunlight and or overhead light a bit. Live with the algae for a time (get an uncommon plec, the commons grow too big) and enjoy your aquarium.
If you lived in Toronto, I could recommend you a great and honest furnace guy.
Jeff

I would pick up a second heater, 150 watts, just for insurance. I like having 2 heaters as I have had one fail.

Thankyou for your help. I will try everything and I will definitely by a back up heater in case of emergency. And it was our fault the heat went out. didn't pay attention to how much propane was left in the tank. :D I'm afraid another danio is gonna die it is acting really weird. and starting to dart. But she is still eating. hopefully she will pull through. I have seen sicker fish than this. Thankyou so much for all your help. Take care and Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom