Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if you could find limbs out in the pasture, boil and soak them? Or do they have to be actual driftwood?

It's best if its drift wood. I can't say if its safe to do this or not. Is say if you so use a hard wood and not a soft wood.

Tipton34 said:
I was wondering if you could find limbs out in the pasture, boil and soak them? Or do they have to be actual driftwood?

Yes you can! There are a couple of things to keep in mind:
The wood needs to be dry (not green/straight from the tree).
It has to be a hard wood (I have also read you shouldn't use evergreens because of the excess sap)
And the most important is make sure the area is chemical free (no pesticides, etc)
I have done this a number of times. I have collected wood from the banks of my local creek (not from in it), then scrubbed, boiled and soaked it. I've even put it through the dishwasher to help remove tannins and any nasties.

image-4109720083.jpg
Eucalyptus from my local creek. :)

Thanks that helps a lot! But a lot of the wood I have are starting to decompose, is that wood no good?

So could I go and cut a piece of wood and let it die, then boil it?

This is just my two cents. I think that the traditional driftwood we all think of is wood that has been out in the elements for a while. Wood that has been aged outdoors, it has kind of been processed by nature. This wood is usually a hardwood and will take a while to break down. The african root wood you usually find in an LFS is very hard but that will also eventually break down too.

Amicus said:
This is just my two cents. I think that the traditional driftwood we all think of is wood that has been out in the elements for a while. Wood that has been aged outdoors, it has kind of been processed by nature. This wood is usually a hardwood and will take a while to break down.

Yes that is the type of wood I'm taking about. :)

Ya but it would much cheaper to find your own driftwood, plus you have more of a preference!

Ya but it would much cheaper to find your own driftwood, plus you have more of a preference!

I agree that it is cheaper. If you go out and find wood and boil it or put it in the oven you are prematurely aging the wood. Boiling it or baking it will break it down too quickly. I just think that you will wind up fouling your tank if not done properly.

Ya I didn't think of that. Its probably safer to find actual driftwood or buy it

Back
Top Bottom