Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Driftwood

Does any one know why all of a sudden I am getting black mold on my driftwood?
This has happened 2 times now. The first time I bleached the wood. soaked it in a heavily dechlorinatoring salutation for several days. I tested it for chlorine and it tested 0. I added it back into my tank, and again it is growing black mold. All of the fish are fine, BTW. I threw the wood away, but still curious. Thanks for any input on this matter.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Driftwood

Hello Reb...

Food particles falling into the small cracks and crevices in the piece are likely the cause. There's nothing wrong with the wood that a few Ramshorn snails can't remedy. These are great for the tank. I keep quite a few in my tanks, because of their ability to clean up things, including mold and fungus type growths.

B

Old 11-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1970 View Post
Does any one know why all of a sudden I am getting black mold on my driftwood?
This has happened 2 times now. The first time I bleached the wood. soaked it in a heavily dechlorinatoring salutation for several days. I tested it for chlorine and it tested 0. I added it back into my tank, and again it is growing black mold. All of the fish are fine, BTW. I threw the wood away, but still curious. Thanks for any input on this matter.
Would you mind posting a picture? I doubt it's mold but black hair algae is more common to have grow on drift wood.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Driftwood Photo

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	255682  

Tags
drift, driftwood, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com