Driftwood and cories...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. So I recently bought some driftwood from DFS online, and I like it.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399248749.711811.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399248758.635246.jpg

I am planning on Bolivian rams, Rummynose tetras, neon tetras (I have 2 atm, sad story), and 5 peppered cories which I have right now. I am a bit under stocked, might be getting some dwarf gouramis. Anyways, I know the NT and BR like a darker water with tannins (which is OK with me), but what about the rummies, cories, and DG? Also, how should I clean it? I've already sprayed it with a hose in a bucket, should I scrub it or boil if I don't mind tannins?

Random note- My cories are not really schooling, just kinda... Sitting there. Sometimes in groups, sometimes alone, I've never really seen them all together...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399248945.111049.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399248955.717225.jpg

Okay because I have two T8s and I've thought about getting plants but I wasn't sure If they would live. What plants do you have?

Okay because I have two T8s and I've thought about getting plants but I wasn't sure If they would live. What plants do you have?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399249679.193773.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399249687.000240.jpg feel free to PM me if you have any further questions, wanna keep the thread on topic :p

That's the same kind I've got from them too. Some of my pieces were too large to boil so I boiled some water and had them all in the bathtub, poured boiling water over them. Then I soaked them in a Rubbermaid tub for a couple days. The first day was barely any tannins but soaked them another day anyway. Hope this helps.

That's the same kind I've got from them too. Some of my pieces were too large to boil so I boiled some water and had them all in the bathtub, poured boiling water over them. Then I soaked them in a Rubbermaid tub for a couple days. The first day was barely any tannins but soaked them another day anyway. Hope this helps.

I don't mind tannins, do I need to boil? Could I just keep them in some dechlor hot water in a bucket for a while? I've already sprayed it with a hose.

Would a plastic bucket (5 gal) be ok with hot/boiling water for a few hours?

I recommend you boil the driftwood. I know you don't mind tannins but it can make your water truly black like opaque black coffee. Even after boiling for 2 hours my 8 inch Malaysian driftwood still produces lots of tannin. The thicker the wood the harder it will be to expel all its tannins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I soaked m pieces of driftwood for about 2 weeks changing g the water daily. Then Boiled for 2 hours, changed water, and boiled for 2 more hours. I put them back in the bucket to soak for another week with daily water changes. The first 2 days the driftwood would leach out more tannins than ever. Then they let out almost no tannins.

Your results may vary...

Everything except the gourami are South American. They all like 'Blackwater' ie tannins

Gourami should do ok with tannins, these are from SE Asia

I am a fan of biotope tanks so would consider rams, apistogramma, kribenesis or angels to keep with the s American theme

Back
Top Bottom