Driftwood question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BL1ND1ND3X

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,
I just bought a piece of driftwood form my lfs, but I bought the piece from inside one of the shop tanks. And i was just wondering was that even safe to do? And how do I sterilize it?
The reason I bought it from the tank is because it was already waterlogged and all of the tannins were out, so I thought that it was a good idea.
Thank you all for the help!

Depending on the size of the wood, I would boil it for 20 minutes. That would be enough time to kill anything that is on the wood.

Depending on the size of the wood, I would boil it for 20 minutes. That would be enough time to kill anything that is on the wood.

It is about 2 feet long, so I can't boil it.
Can I pour boiling water over it?

Give it a good rinse with the hose and chuck her in. It'll be fine. There is no point over thinking it IMHO. You know it came from a tank not from a creek that could contain all sorts of nasty bugs or chemicals. If you're really worried, the dishwasher (no soap!) works wonders ;)

Give it a good rinse with the hose and chuck her in. It'll be fine. There is no point over thinking it IMHO. You know it came from a tank not from a creek that could contain all sorts of nasty bugs or chemicals. If you're really worried the dishwasher (no soap!) works wonders ;)

Ok you have a point, I guess I'll just pour boiling water on it just to make me feel better and it will be in by tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice!
Thank you everyone else!

Give it a good rinse with the hose and chuck her in. It'll be fine. There is no point over thinking it IMHO. You know it came from a tank not from a creek that could contain all sorts of nasty bugs or chemicals. If you're really worried the dishwasher (no soap!) works wonders ;)
+1 I just put mine in straight from Petco and it was perfectly fine. I've had a lot of issues trying to waterlog driftwood (constantly soaking and boiled repeatedly for 3 months and still not sinking) so in my opinion it'd just be easier to chuck it in.

Give it a good rinse with the hose and chuck her in. It'll be fine. There is no point over thinking it IMHO. You know it came from a tank not from a creek that could contain all sorts of nasty bugs or chemicals. If you're really worried, the dishwasher (no soap!) works wonders ;)

I agree! Don't over-stress it. I got drift wood that wasn't in a tank, just one of the ones in the fish shop, and I still kinda regret it. It was a pain to get it not leeching brown into my tank, even after soaking it and rinsing and all that for days, and I swear like a year later it still makes my water a little yellow brown to this day! Ha ha. By getting one from the shop, it'll totally be easier to deal with and on your tank. (& hey, it could even put some healthy bacteria in your tank too, especially depending on how cycled your tank is!)

Agree with all.
Plus making driftwood sink is a pain.

Alright everyone I just put the driftwood in the tank.
Thank you everyone for the help!

Back
Top Bottom