Dumbest thing you did while cycling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
I remember when I added fish 15 minutes after I had set up my 10 gallon tank, so I wonder if there are people out there who have done some pretty bonehead things while cycling?

When I was fishless cycling last year, I would pour the ammonia over the tank, and I ended up with a ton of ammonia instead of the teaspoon i wanted lol.

Oh another is not checking the pH at all during the cycle on that same tank. Lol, I was wondering why it took so long!

I do a lot of stupid things. :)

Dropped a Clorox wipe in the tank

I was dusting off the shelf above the tank and I dropped the wipe into the tank.

I had to restart the cycle.... Lol

Added too much ammonia. Cycling from >8.0 took a while.

Was using the syringe that I used to dose the ammonia to get water for my tests. Took the longest time for me to figure out why it was reading 8+. :D

When I added 8 fish at one time (first tank) and try to cycle your tank when you learn your filter isn't working!

It was my first tank I came home from lfs with fish and tank the same day. Set it up it was a ten gallon added the fish and only did one ten percent water change every week. However the fish did live I still have 4 out of the 5 blackskirts that are now living in my 55. And gave 3 of the original 5 serpae tetras back to lfs because they were nipping fins.

Way back when we got our 1st tank 33gal we bought the "kit" and the fish same day. We would do water changes but we would take all the water out except for enough the keep the fish covered every day. That tank took forever to cycle. Years later I finally understood why. Lol!

Oh I forgot one. When I added umm, 4 tiger barbs, a dwarf gourami, two platies and a rainbowfish in a ten gallon tank, brand new lol, this was a whhiilllee ago. I still have the rainbow too! :)

Well I don't think this was during cycling. But before I knew about beneficial bacteria, and would clean my tank.. I would take everything out and rinse it and scrub it sparkly clean, then throw a new filter pad in there. :S

scottayy said:
Well I don't think this was during cycling. But before I knew about beneficial bacteria, and would clean my tank.. I would take everything out and rinse it and scrub it sparkly clean, then throw a new filter pad in there. :S

This reminds me of another one. When I was in first grade, I had a one gallon tank with a Molly and once a month my mom would rip the tank apart and clean it all out, with the fish in a container. The put it all back together.

This is like, story four for me lol

George9 said:
This reminds me of another one. When I was in first grade, I had a one gallon tank with a Molly and once a month my mom would rip the tank apart and clean it all out, with the fish in a container. The put it all back together.

This is like, story four for me lol

That reminds me of when I had a Betta in a bowl and I once Week would take everything out and cleaned it. Believe it or not it lived for four years.

I bought the 10 gallon "kit" from the store and got a bunch of fish the same day, including fish that should have never of gone in the 10 gallon to begin with. I still have most of the same fish, upgraded into a bigger tank. Got rid of the ones that were to big for my tanks. Now that I know, I feel so bad for putting them through that.

First tank when I was 8. A ten gallon kit came home set it up and went back out and got 10 common goldfish, comets. They live for a few years tho. Until the day I decided to change out the gravel color and clean out the whole tank.... Miss those fish! :(

Back
Top Bottom