Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys! I am currently planning on adding some fish to my cycled, 45 gal.

It currently has:

5 Pep Cories
1 Glo-Danio (My first fish ^.^)
8 Rummynose tetras
2 (Soon to be 5) Neon tetras

Planning on adding 3 more NT and a breeding pair (so temporarily 5 Bolivian rams) of BR's.

However, I am a bit under stocked, and am possibly looking for another fish for some color and personality. The main 2 things I have looked at so far are a single Angel fish, or a single Dwarf Gourami. I'm leaning more towards the DG. Will either be OK, what are some good replacements? Thanks for all of your help!

The DG should be ok, I have one in a tank with glowlight tetras and they get along just fine. Not sure about the rams though, as the DG may decide the rams look too much like him and try to picka fight.

One thing I'd add, as you have the space, is a bunch more neons, at least 6 more to bring both shoals of tetras to 8.

Hm, I've considered that, probably going to act upon it too... Would the 5 BR cause too much aggression for the ____ (I'm guessing 2 months?) time I have them?

I don't know. I've never kept any rams but am considering a Bolivian but it wold go in my larger tank and my DG is in the smaller tank. Hopefully someone with experience keeping both fish can reply.

I've read stories of Rams and Gourami not getting along to well; particularly with Gourami showing aggression towards the Rams. I'll say the Rams aren't the easiest fish to keep, but they are easy enough once the become accustomed to your tank. I currently have an electric blue Ram, a blue Ram, two platies, a yoyo loach and about 9 neon tetra.

I have 3 honey gourami in my community with a gbr pair. Not once had an issue. The honey are very passive and have shown no aggression at all to eachother or others.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hava one ram in with angels and two dgs. My ram does great but ive noticed some at the lfs that are very aggressive. It depends on the rams. Some are very nice i guess you could say and others are super aggresive. The ram and angel in the photo even share algae wafers for some odd reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400105820779.jpg
    1400105820779.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 66
I hava one ram in with angels and two dgs. My ram does great but ive noticed some at the lfs that are very aggressive. It depends on the rams. Some are very nice i guess you could say and others are super aggresive. The ram and angel in the photo even share algae wafers for some odd reason.

I've noticed this too.

My electric blue ram which I've had for 7+ months was very aggressive to his smaller friend when I bought them - the smaller of the two died shortly after. I just picked up a GBR (I decided to get a nice docile one from the LFS as there was one very aggressive one), and the electric blue has been harassing him non-stop.

The electric blue is never aggressive either, although it occasionally chases my yellow platy around.

Mine only chases the others when guarding his algae wafer lol accept my large angels. Im eventually wanting another tank and get more rams. They are definetly fun to watch lol.

If you want the rams and the DG, wait until the rams have paired and you've removed the "extras". Add the DG last. DG are fine if they have lots of space and places to hide.

If you want the rams and the DG, wait until the rams have paired and you've removed the "extras". Add the DG last. DG are fine if they have lots of space and places to hide.

There's TONS of places to hide in the center, open space on the sides... I almost never see my cories anymore x)

Back
Top Bottom