Dwarf Gourami dying...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I thought my dwarf gourami was here to stay, since he survived 4 months and seemed hardy. He was doing fine until about 5 days ago. He is alone in a 10gal tank with an AC20. Water params are fine (0,0,10). For 6 days now, he hasn't eaten anything. He just lies at the bottom of the tank all day. He comes up for air, but nothing else. I think his color is fading as well (turning gray). There is no other visible sign of disease. Also, his gills are redder than most fish, but they've always been that way, so I don't think that's doing anything. Nothing has changed in the tank recently except two things:
1. I started feeding him bloodworms a couple days before this.
2. A rude guest put a bunch of bloodworms in his tank. (I don't think he ate many, and I cleaned it all up, no water probs)

So I have no idea what is wrong with him. Iridovirus wouldn't strike after so many days would it? Please help him :(

--Adeeb

Sorry your guy is not feeling well. He might be constipated. Have you noticed any bloating or pooping/not pooping? When he does come up for air, does he have trouble swimming?

I have found that many fish can get constipated when you feed them too much of a protein rich diet. I try to balance this by putting in fresh blanched veggies like squash and zuchini as well as seaweed. A varied diet is also good for fish health overall.

If you think he might be constipated from the bloodworms...Try putting him in a QT tank with salt. Bring the temp up to between 82-85F, and feed him some shelled peas.

Constipated Fish? "Pea-lax!" - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

I didn't notice any bloating, but I guess constipation might be it. Darn, that makes two fish now. I should really move all my tanks to my room and lock the room, darn kids...

I would feed him peas, but he won't come up for anything. How do I get him to eat them?

--Adeeb

Do you have a quarantine tank? By isolating him in a new tank you might have better luck getting him to eat the peas.

If you don't have a QT tank...you could try setting one up to nurse him until he is eating more and looking more "normal". You can use a bucket and add a filter from an established tank. Alternately, a couple times I have used a large fry nursery to QT fish. You can buy them pretty cheap at your LFS. They will float on the surface and allow the fish easier access to air and food. Also, since it's enclosed, you will see if he eats the pea of not.

If you use the nursery, get the largest one for your gourami. If you are crafty you can also make one yourself.

DIY Fry Nursery

Others have soaked peas in garlic to make them more appealing to eat, but I have never had to do this. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Do you have a quarantine tank? By isolating him in a new tank you might have better luck getting him to eat the peas.

Why do I need a QT if he is alone? Wouldn't a QT be another 10gal anyway? I do have a fry breeder net thingy, it's about 5x5x4 inches.

--Adeeb

ah...I thought he has companions...no worries then about a QT tank if he is alone. Try the peas, even if they sink, he might take notice and eat a bit of them. Otherwise, don't offer him anything else to eat, just to keep your water as clean as possible. The peas you can easily see and remove if they start to break down or he doesn't eat them.

You can try putting him in the fry nursery as long as it doesn't stress him. He might be more encouraged to eat in the nursery.

how is your DG doing? if you do peas, they should sink to the bottom, especially if they are bigger chunks. you could also try an algae wafer? my DG loves to pick at them. freeze dried food like bloodworms will definitely cause bloating. to prevent bloating, i always pre-soak the flakes in a little tank water, and feed peas once or twice a week, and brine shrimp twice a week for a little snack.

pre-soaking the flakes will also make them sink a lot faster.

are you sure your test results are accurate? what kind of test kit are you using? red gills usually indicates ammonia poisoning. clean water is always the key to health, so i would do water changes every other day or even daily until he gets better if i were you.

I use API liquid tests of course :) The water is fine and fully cycled. He has always had red gills, which is unusual. He's doing worse today so I think I'm going to move him to the fry breeder and get him some peas.

His regular diet is flakes, would those cause bloating in the future? Thanks for your help, I hope it is bloating and not some infection...

--Adeeb

I feed my DG flakes all the time, and he never gets bloated. But I also feed micro pellets, frozen bloodworms and peas.

yes, a varied diet will bring the best out of your fish. flakes do not normally cause bloating but if it is his only diet it could potentially cause problems. pick up a couple more foods for him and switch it up every couple days. i also like to pre-soak the flakes to prevent them from expanding in their bellies.

Sorry for your troubles. Google "dwarf gourami disease". Sadly it sounds similar.

Argh!!! He survived for 3+ months, so I was hoping he wouldn't have iridovirus... I hope it's just bloating... :bawl:

--Adeeb

I had 2 succomb after 6 months plus independently. :(

this is making me sad :cry:.... we just got our dwarf gourami a couple weeks ago... i'm hoping mine will beat all yours :p they're such cool fish, i'd love to keep our little Pyralis around as long as possible.

i hope yours is able to pull through adeebm. keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom