dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw some dwarf puffers yesterday at my locat petSmart. They were amazingly...dwarf. I would guess they were maybe 1/2 an inch, if that. I have seen baby fish bigger than these things. Are they supposed to be that small? How big do they get? Are they supposed to be in fresh water? What can they live with?

I just got my first dwarf puffer about a week and a half ago. They are amazing!

Yes, they are supposed to be that small, the can grow only a little over an inch which make them great for tanks as small as 2.5gal. I have mine in a 5gal heavily planted.

Yes, they are 100% FW.

They are very agressive little fish which should only be kept with otocinclus catfish. Many people say they should be house in a species tank but you can get away with otos and shrimp. That is about it.

Here is a great site for info www.dwarfpuffers.com

GET ONE, you will love them!

I agree, very cute, as long as you are willing to give them live food (mine won't eat anything else), you'll love them, they are cute beyond belief.

They are messy fish to be so small, so the smallest tank I'd put them in is a 5g. And thats just for one. If you want more than one, then I'd go with atleast a 10g. Make sure you have good filtration.

I'd be careful keeping them with shrimp. If the shrimp are bigger than them they may still kill them.

I do have an empty 5 gallon tank.....Hmmmmmmmm......

No! No more fish! I have too many already.

Mine's full grown and is only maybe an inch long and will only eat frozen or freeze dried blood worms or anything that resembles such...he only eats like the ends, sucking out all the stuff in the middle before spitting it out and he has to pick just the right one before he'll eat it. I've only had problems with mine being with other fish if it's a betta fish

What about with Leaf Fish? I have seen them at petsmart with leaf fish even though you said they are aggressive?

Back
Top Bottom