Dwarf Puffers eating well :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was a bit concerned as I had heard that DPs can be very finiky but I'm happy to report that my "kids" are eating well. I've seen two of them hunt snails (the small ramshorns - too cute, he could fit almost his entire head into the shell) and they are all voraciously eating frozen bloodworms.

In fact, after only 4 days they are already starting to recognize the dropper that I've been using to get the bloodworms into the tank - they're all starting to come up to the dropper to wait for the bloodworm to come out. Its really cute. Amazing how a fish no bigger than pencilpoint could "learn" so quickly.

Yes, watching their bellies plump is cute.

I wonder how one would test for fish intelligence :) I would say "lb for lb" they're got to be in the 3. But I'd bet Bettas are close to that too.

fish IQ test of course! lol. I think my DP is very intelligent because he can recognize common objects and can go crazy for some of them. When he sees something shiney he gets all excited because the bloodwors i get come in cube form with tinfoil wrapper, lol. He recognises the tweezers i feed him with. Recognizes me and hides when i my cat gets on my dresser. They are amazing little things.

I have to say, they are pretty smart. Only 3 or 4 feedings with the dropper and they started to recognize it. Now they KNOW what it is, now they wait for the bloodworm to come out of the end.
But my bettas do the same thing and "learned" to jump for the food on my fingers after only a few days. And they get VERY excited whenever they see me.
The DPs give the appearance of high intelligence because of their constanting moving eyes - it really makes it seem that they are "thinking". Plus the way they "size up" a meal (be it snail or bloodworm) adds to that impression.
DPs were the absolute best choice for the revamped 10 gallon tank, especially since its at my eye level when I'm sitting at my desk (its right behind me on a credenza) - I can watch the little guys all day. There's a HUGH risk of me not getting my work done !!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom