Eclipse catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone here own/have owned these (eclipse catfish; aka sun catfish) before? Wanted to know how big they usually grow in the aquaria? I've read they can get to 18" but is that actually in the aquarium or in the wild? Not totally sure if I'll need a bigger tank when it's an adult.

oh no no no, I LOVE these fish and rescued two a while ago. Within three months they grew about 4 inches. If fed properly, they get to be around 18 inches (in the aquarium) and the only reason they stay smaller in tanks is because they die before they reach full size (if the tank isn't big enough or they aren't propely cared for). Alas, I only have a 55 gallon and so I gave them to my LFS. I love them, great fish, aggressive eaters, and they are very shy. Mine spent their days hiding in my amazon sword plants. I'd always think they were dead, but it is just how they liked to hide. HTH!

*edit* they also have a very long lifespan... I'll try to find the information I had when I was researching this species over the summer. Scientific name: Horabagrus brachysoma

Well, I will definently not keep it in the 75 if it gets even to say 12-13". Right now I cannot afford a bigger tank but hopefully be able to in the future so I hope this guy takes a few years to grow to a large size. It's only about 2.5-2.8" right now. Whenever I see mine it's always fat, I think he's also eating the algae wafers I put for my plecos. :? I have noticed my plecs getting a little skinnier.

on a side note, they like to be kept in small groups of 3. I would bet your little one is eating anything and everything that sinks in pellet or waffer form to the bottom of the tank. I know mine did. They really enjoy shrimp pellets. To help your pleco out, you might want to feed zuchinis over night in large enough peices that the suncat can't eat. Your little cat should grow a good bit in the next few months, but I think they slow down for a while after they reach a certain length. Not sure about that though. I only kept mine until they were around 5-6 inches and were harassing my other bottom dwellers.

I have one I picked up at about 1.5 inches, the next time I saw him he was 3", then after that 4". I haven't seen him in about 2-3 weeks - he stays hidden during the day. Sometimes, he'll come out during a feeding.

He's real peaceful, doesn't bother anybody, but I've heard that they get rather large.

black udder, they get to be around 18 inches in an aquarium but larger ones have been found in the wild.

I just saw it yesterday night and WOW it's gotten bigger. Fatter, a little bit longer and wider. I think I will be moving it to my 75 today.

My eclipse keeps swimming up into the filter! Have any of you had a problem with this or is mine just crazy?

Actually INSIDE the filter's intake? Does your filter not have an intake strainer or something? I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

I have never owned a sun catfish, but I do currently own two black fin sharks. They kind of look the same but different colors. But what I was wanting to say is that, when they get bigger they will probably eat smaller fish. Yes they are peacefully, but to fish their own size!

Trust me, I found that one out the hard way. Once my catfish reached about 3", I had about 12 different Danios one night, the next day I only had 2. You should of seen the catfish stomachs, they where dragging on the gravel. Now I really don't know that much infomration on Sun catfish. They might not do something like what mine did. But I think there might be a chance that they could.

Sorry my brain isn't functio ing right now but its where the water comes out of the filter. He swims up the current at the top of the tank and practically jumps into the filter next to the carbon filter. Hes able to get I've seen him do it but it's just weird.

Oh, lol maybe he likes something in there?
The intake is where the water goes IN the filter.

I also have an eclipe catfish and when he aint hiding in the logs or rock homes at the bottom of the tank he likes to swim upward through the flow of the water coming from the filter. I have an eclipse 20 gallon tank with the carbon filter and bio filter so he cant get into the filter system but he has been known to come out of the water before.

Eclipse Catfish

Just be aware that these fish will eat smaller fish. Mine is about 6 inches. It hides in a fake stump during the day but comes out in the evening right before I turn the light off or right after and hunts/eats at night. He has eaten probably $30 worth of fish, platys, guppies, danios, mollies, cherry barbs, several different kinds of tetras, anything that will fit into its mouth and doesn't swim fast.

Back
Top Bottom