Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Eclipse catfish

Does anyone here own/have owned these (eclipse catfish; aka sun catfish) before? Wanted to know how big they usually grow in the aquaria? I've read they can get to 18" but is that actually in the aquarium or in the wild? Not totally sure if I'll need a bigger tank when it's an adult.

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, angelfish, a gibbiceps pleco, loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), spotted silver dollars, guppies, an African butterfly fish, a Sumatran pygmy catfish & a Ctenopoma
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The largest specimens I've seen were about 6" or 7".

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

they say around 8 in in an aquarium. i've never kept one but they are a cool looking fish.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh no no no, I LOVE these fish and rescued two a while ago. Within three months they grew about 4 inches. If fed properly, they get to be around 18 inches (in the aquarium) and the only reason they stay smaller in tanks is because they die before they reach full size (if the tank isn't big enough or they aren't propely cared for). Alas, I only have a 55 gallon and so I gave them to my LFS. I love them, great fish, aggressive eaters, and they are very shy. Mine spent their days hiding in my amazon sword plants. I'd always think they were dead, but it is just how they liked to hide. HTH!

*edit* they also have a very long lifespan... I'll try to find the information I had when I was researching this species over the summer. Scientific name: Horabagrus brachysoma
Old 03-01-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I will definently not keep it in the 75 if it gets even to say 12-13". Right now I cannot afford a bigger tank but hopefully be able to in the future so I hope this guy takes a few years to grow to a large size. It's only about 2.5-2.8" right now. Whenever I see mine it's always fat, I think he's also eating the algae wafers I put for my plecos. I have noticed my plecs getting a little skinnier.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, angelfish, a gibbiceps pleco, loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), spotted silver dollars, guppies, an African butterfly fish, a Sumatran pygmy catfish & a Ctenopoma
Old 03-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

on a side note, they like to be kept in small groups of 3. I would bet your little one is eating anything and everything that sinks in pellet or waffer form to the bottom of the tank. I know mine did. They really enjoy shrimp pellets. To help your pleco out, you might want to feed zuchinis over night in large enough peices that the suncat can't eat. Your little cat should grow a good bit in the next few months, but I think they slow down for a while after they reach a certain length. Not sure about that though. I only kept mine until they were around 5-6 inches and were harassing my other bottom dwellers.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have one I picked up at about 1.5 inches, the next time I saw him he was 3", then after that 4". I haven't seen him in about 2-3 weeks - he stays hidden during the day. Sometimes, he'll come out during a feeding.

He's real peaceful, doesn't bother anybody, but I've heard that they get rather large.
2 mollies (1 spotted & 1 black); 1 Zebra Danio; 2 Oto; 1 golden wonder killie; 2 Kuhlii loach; 2 SAE; 1 bumblebee cat; 2 upsidedown cats; 2 golden algae eaters
black udder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

black udder, they get to be around 18 inches in an aquarium but larger ones have been found in the wild.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just saw it yesterday night and WOW it's gotten bigger. Fatter, a little bit longer and wider. I think I will be moving it to my 75 today.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

haha good choice

Tags
catfish, eclipse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com