Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation Eel stuck in decoration

Hi all,

My little fresh water eel seems to have gotten stuck in one of my decorations. For a while, I thought he/she was just hiding out in it and didn't think anything of it, but recently I've been watching the eel more closely and haven't seen it venture forth and look very strained when trying to reach food floating by. This was also confirmed when I did a deep clean the other day and the eel did not leave the hiding hole during or after I moved him around in it. The growth of my eel has also been stunted because of this, as the other eel I have in the tank has grown quite larger. They both used to swim around very actively. I attached a picture to show where the eel is hiding out and you can see the other eel in the corner.

Do you have any advice as to how I could get my eel out? The decoration is hard plastic so I'm worried about attempting to cut it or anything of that nature.

Thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2859.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	286574  

Old 05-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can you update? I hope you can try to get it out.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow man that's a tough situation, maybe you can try to take out the decoration and turn it so the eel's body is facing downwards. Maybe out of fear he will dart out or if not you can maybe use some tonsils and gently help him out? Best of luck to ya
Old 05-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I honestly doubt that its "stuck"

The eel hiding in the hidey hole during cleaning is doing what its supposed to do, hiding when its scared.

Try feeding it at night with a target feedimg. Itll be easier to see if you have some night lights on your tank. Also make sure that it cant see you.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I honestly doubt that its "stuck"

The eel hiding in the hidey hole during cleaning is doing what its supposed to do, hiding when its scared.

Try feeding it at night with a target feedimg. Itll be easier to see if you have some night lights on your tank. Also make sure that it cant see you.
This sounds about right to me. I'd be truly amazed if a fish was able to fit into somewhere and be unable to get back out.

Tags
deco, decor, eel, stuck

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com