eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im planning on setting up a larger freshwater tank soon but am wanting to do more research before I get started on it. I am wanting some eels and I was reading that peacock eels are better to get than fire eels is this true? Also if I do do eels what would be good tank mates?

How large of a tank are you thinking? Fire eels grow quite large, well over 24" (though not usually 36" in aquariums) and don't play well with their own species. Peacock eels are smaller, not aggressive toward other peacock eels, but generally not as hardy as the larger tire track or fire eels.
If you''re going with at least a 75 gallon tank the Tanganykian elipsifer spiny eel would be alright. They're fairly social if you want more than one, mix well with most African cichlids, and are less inclined to spend all day buried in the sand. Will eat fry, but so will just about any fish for that matter.

The best bet for a small eel would probably be a peacock eel. I would recommend getting one that eats frozen foods like; larvae or blood worms. Most eels don't move around much and stay relatively hidden. The peacock eel needs to be kept in a tank with a forest for it to hid in.

If you want a show piece in a small tank I would suggest a chinese fighter fish. They are absolutely beautiful and can be put into a tank with other fish (just not another fighter fish).

Well the size of tank I want to get is 55 gallons I'm wanting to start a plant set up in it well before I get any fish I was just trying to do a little more research before I get started

55 gallon will be ok for a peacock eel. Another species you can look at for a 55gallon is a axolotls. Axolotls are (mostly) tank raised so you don't have to worry about trying to get them feeding on frozen.

'Fry' is baby fish. Some fry like black mollies are used as a food source for predator fish. They tend to be the easiest to breed and they give birth to live fry.

Ohhhhh I see, ok the thing I have to take into account is that I live in a town down in BFE, so I have to be careful if the fish I get because the closest pet store is 30 - 45 minutes from here, is it possible to set up a smaller tank as a feeder tank?

There are a few smaller species besides peacocks available online, wetspot on aquabid has burmese zebra and yellow tail zigag eels listed now. They don't require live food, but aren't usually willing to eat pellets or flakes. Frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp or live blackworms are acceptable. You can also raise feeders in a separate tank, ender's livebearers or cherry shrimp would be good for that.

Back
Top Bottom