Am I stocking too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FemaleBettaLove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am almost finished stocking my 29 gallon tank and was checking AqAdvisor (I have heard that it is pretty conservative). The following picture is what my stock would be when everything is done. I already have a Marineland Penguin 200B filter and might buy another one. My tank mostly has lucky bamboo, Anubis, and moss balls, but I want to add more plants.

Also, I am not sure if the spiny eel (Zig-Zag eel) will get too big for my tank. Right now, he is really small (probably 3-4 inches) and when he gets too big/big enough to eat my tetras, I am planning on setting up a bigger tank.

Additionally, I have a neon blue goby in the tank, but it isn't on the list because AqAdvisor didn't have that species as an option.

Would my final stock be overstocked?

Attachments

• AqAdvisor Stock 1.png
    AqAdvisor Stock 1.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 35
What are your water parameters telling you? What water change schedule are you needing to keep parameters good? Are you seeing any aggression in your tank?

It looks quite a lot to me, and i would expect water changes more often than once a week to keep on top of things.

Excuse me Cooli loach(khuli loach) are shy and enjoy squezzing into small spaces, id suggest keeping 3 not two and knocking down all of the tetra numbers to 8 instead of 10 each.

also remove platy and molly unless you know there both males they meay be bought pregnate and soon start giving birth to eel snacks. :(

may i suggest only 1 gourami as they are very teritorial?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do water changes every week or every other week and all parameters are fine. I try to keep nitrates no more than 40ppm. My molly and platy are both females and have been there for months, so I don't think are pregnant.

The golden gourami I have now is female. I was looking to get a pearl one, probably female because of fighting. Would two females be ok together?

In terms of my kuhli loaches, I had 3-4, but I have only seen 2, so it's possible there are more, but not likely. The 2 that show seem fine. One hides but comes out for food, while the other one is often out at different times and at feeding.

Also, I can definitely cut the schools down to 8 each.

I'm not sure about female habits of gouramis since male gouramis are often sold mostly because males tend to have better coloring but I think aggression will be much lower between two females although I'd suggest everytime you do a water change you change landscapes to mix up territories every now and then. Love to hear your khuli's are not as shy as most people I rarely see mine, it's possible they only feed when you aren't around.
I think pearls are beautiful and would suggest them, however, honeys are a yellowish color, and pearls are predominantly lightly colored too so I'd go with a pearl with dark accents and coloring (males usually have darker color so Perhaps not a good idea?)to mix up the colors alittle yin yang action you know?

If you bought a zig zag eel it’s not going to work out I almost gurantee it’s a tire track you are looking at a fish that will hit around 18 inches easily I would put it in no less than a 120 gallon long. I would take it back immediately.. you are definitley overstocked for your tank size when are you upgrading and to what size tank? I would personally unload 20 tetras add 2 Kuhlis and add 4 cories they need bigger groups and I wouldn’t add anymore platies or mollies you are very stocked.

I imagine the pearl gourami female may still go after your golden. The two female pearl's I have still squabble over territory/pecking order in a 50 gallon.
You can keep that few Kuhli's, but from my experience keeping them once you get them to around 5 or 6 you will see them way more and experience their cool behaviors like the "kuhli dance" and the way they dogpile on food :) They're a social fish and often move around the tank in packs similar to how cory's do.

Hillstream loaches really prefer fast moving, highly oxygenated water, and are less prone to sickness at lower temperature water than what many of the tropical fish on your list require, and most places recommend keeping them in at least 50 gallons.

And this is just my personal preference, but keeping one school of say 24 fish instead of three different schools of 8 usually puts on a way better display, and can help your other centerpiece fish stand out far more.

I admire how on top of the water parameters you are. That takes time and diligence, so that is awesome for your fish. However, in my humble opinion, your list percentage is accurate - 192% of the fish that tank should have. Maybe start cycling the larger tank now, then move some of them slowly into it, then everyone could have enough space?

Back
Top Bottom