eggs on the glass - do fish lay eggs on glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds like a great idea, homedog, I second that idea. Now that I think of it, I should have been able to think of that, because it is common.

I would drop a few fish flakes in the nursery instead of pure ammonia to keep it cycled. It has the same result, but is less expensive and easier, since you can just do it when you feed the other fish.

I think I've heard of people doing this, which reminds that others have mentioned using cooked shrimp but a small jug of pure ammonia is more in my price range, especially since my boyfriend still has plenty left from cycling his tank :p Thanks, I do like that idea better than adding ammonia once everything gets going.

Well, that excitement last night was fun but sadly somebody ate very well after I went to bed :( Not sure if it was the cories, the rams, or my bn pleco (doesn't seem to know he's a vegetarian) but somebody got everything but a few of the egg casings of one pod.

Thanks for the advice everybody, stuff to keep in mind for the future. Any ideas how I can protect the eggs in the future? I can't think of any way to attach little screens to the corners but that seems like the only way to do it.

If you don't have a dedicated breeding tank you pretty much just have to let nature take its course. If it were the rams they would have protected the eggs from predators.

Even though you haven't seen a snail in a while it could still be snail eggs. Sometimes they will hide in the substrate or other clever places.

Watch them next time they try to breed, and once they start showing signs, move them to the one gallon. But I would still go with the fish food to keep the tank cycled. Just seems easier to me. I do think you should use the pure ammonia to start it off... But the good bacteria will die unless you feed it.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'd been so hopeful about the rams breeding that I hadn't bothered to consider anybody else doing it :wink: Have to do a bit of researching on the behavior of cory cats. Still trying to think of a way to put some little net up with suction cups that might at least give the eggs a chance.

I usually keep an extra sponge or piece of filter floss in the back of my filter in case I need to set up a breeder tank/QT. That way I can just pop it into the smaller tanks filter and the filter already has all the good stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom