elusive bubble nest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. Corwin has been frantically trying to build a bubble nest lately, but the bubbles keep popping. This wasn't a problem when I had him in a QT with no filter for a bit. So I turned off the filter in the regular tank just to see if it was because the water wasn't still enough. Well that didn't work either. The bubbles still pop and poor Corwin seems to be bound and determined to build one.

Does this have to do with pH or water hardness? Any why did it work in the QT? pH is 6.5, not sure about the hardness.

Thanks!

I'm not sure :) That's a good question. My pH varies from 6.8 to 7.0 throughout the day with my pressurized CO2 so I don't think pH is a factor. My betta builds rather large bubble nests in his tank and the filter is on all the time. It's an internal filter and the output is about an inch below the water surface. It doesn't create current but you can see the top of the water moving if you bend down and look up to the surface of the water. The filter that I have doesn't run off an airpump and it doesn't make bubbles that come up in a column.

I did look in yesterday and there were large bubbles - not from the CO2 diffuser - separated from each other on the surface, like his bubble nest fell apart.

You have a sponge filter in the regular tank, right? That's the only thing I can think of - the movement of the water created by the sponge filter, with its column of rising bubbles, may disturb the nest somehow. Remembering back, I don't think any of my bettas in the sponge-filtered 5 gallon tanks made bubble nests.

I have read that you can cut a plastic or styrofoam cup in half lengthwise and adhere it to the side of the tank with the curved side down. That may make a little protected area for him to build the nest. But I'd worry about the plastic cutting his fins or the styrofoam getting gunked up, plus if he did build a nest under that cup, you probably couldn't see it. I don't know if Corwin needs more practice or not :wink: but it's good that he's determined. Maybe one of the nests will stick together!

Sorry I wasn't much help, but be patient :) if he keeps trying he may succeed!

Adding some floating plants would be another option. Looks a little more natural and gives the nest something to anchor to, making it easier to stay together.

Interesting do you have any pics, I'm confused about what your talking about so off to google I go,lol

Bettas build bubble nests when they are content in their environment and/or ready to mate. They just blow bubbles in the tank water that kind of stick together and make a little "nest". When they mate, the females drop the eggs and the bettas pick up the eggs with their mouth and put them in the bubble nest. You don't need a special set up, just a healthy tank...clean, warm, and not too strong current. Some of the suggestions above can sometimes encourage bettas to build the nests. I'll post a picture soon.

But if Sammie doesn't seem to be too upset by not being able to, does it matter, or is it something that will stress all male Betas out unless they do build one?

I would say no - if the betta doesn't attempt to build a bubble nest, then don't worry about it. He would certainly build one if he wanted to. A sick betta will probably not attempt a nest, but barring that circumstance, it's ok if they don't. I have had many bettas and some were prolific nest builders and some weren't. Of my current two bettas, one builds large nests fairly frequently and one never has built a nest. My bettas are in 10 gallon planted tanks so the water parameters are excellent, and the bettas are healthy; in fact, they are the longest-lived bettas I've ever had.

I have read that younger bettas build nests more frequently than older bettas. My one betta that builds nests is almost two years old.

Some of the reasons that Heidi mentioned above should entice bettas to build a nest: when the betta is content and healthy, when they are ready to mate (although my male bettas never saw a female), when the water parameters are good - I have read that bettas will make a nest when the water parameters can support fry.

I'm sure that my one betta is happy and healthy, although he never attempted a nest. In that case, if everything else in the tank is good - water at the proper temperature and clean, etc. - then I wouldn't worry about it. If Sammie is healthy and happy, maybe the nest will come in time. If not, although you'd like to see a nest, I'm sure, I don't believe it's anything to worry about.

Well he did build when he was in QT without a current. I don't know if he is still trying to build, but it isn't something that is preoccuping his every minute because he's not constantly trying (and failing to build one). He's more preoccupied with his reflection.

I wouldn't be worried either.. my little man tried to no avail for the first month he was in his 10g. After that he leaves me one everyday! When I planted his tank he seemed to have a bit of trouble again, but once the plants started nearing the surface he has been laying them like crazy!

Back
Top Bottom