Emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, im having a problem with my 40 gal B. Yesterday i found one platy dead, after a waterchange, which i beleive lowered my pH a whole 1 point. The fish are acting sluggish, barely moving. im afraid that more may die.
Stock:
3x platys
1x angel
1x three-spot gourami
1x BN pleco
:hide:

p.s. my new ph is 6.6, down from 7.4

I just replaced my 2 filter cartridges, if that helps.

That's where the majority of your beneficial bacteria is stored, if you're going to change them at least stagger by a week.. you most likely started a mini cycle just test your water and change accordingly until it levels back out.. what kind of filters you run?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My levels are all 0, except nitrate which is 2. I us the marineland penguin 350. I dont think i restarted the cycle cause most of the bacteria is on the 2 bio-wheels.

Have you checked what the tap(?) ph is? Just check straight away and let stand for 24 hrs to degas, etc and get true ph.

Mostly tanks tend to a lower ph from tap so curious what is going on with yours. Would you have kh readings?

Sent by iPhone using AA

Best I can say is wait it out, they will either adjust or expire. Trying to correct the swing now will only cause more stress.
Test the tank pH tomorrow and see where you're at. You can go from there with a test straight from the tap, then put some in a bucket and aerate or just a cup that has been sitting for 24 hours. If you have a significant change then you will need to aerate your water before changing in order to avoid large swings.

You can also use baking soda to raise the pH slowly in the tank by adding 1tsp at a time that is dissolved in a cup of water and then waiting a few minutes to test and then wait to allow the fish to adjust. If there's one thing fish aren't fond of it is sudden changes in pH.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hoping to hear back from the OP on this. Interested as well if the water had changed much or most of it was just a ph difference (ph shock).

Sent by iPhone using AA

A few months ago my tap ph was 7.4, but I'll test it again to see if its changed.

Just wondering, what are you testing with? Test strips or a liquid test kit

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you re tested your tap water? What is your water change schedule like?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom