Help with Ammonia in fish-in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flowersformay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

This is my first post here! I was looking for some help. I did a fish-in cycle with some amano and cherry shrimp. I thought all of my tests were looking good except pH. However, I realized I was not waiting a full 5 minutes for my ammonia test and have been thinking it was sitting at 0 since I started.

Here's what I have done as of date:
Started a 8.75 gallon freshwater tank on 6/3/2022
Used treated tap water which reads at 7.4 pH
Added Immediately:​
  1. One bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus
  2. Proper Dose of Aqueon Shrimp Water Conditioner
  3. Aqueon 10 Gallon Internal Shrimp Filter
  4. 10 pounds Aqueon Plant Substrate
  5. 6 Amano Shrimp
  6. Aqueon Planted Light
  7. one cube-like decoration to provide some hiding space

Then, I waited and tested my water. It read as 0s across Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia. My pH was 8.2. I knew this was high, so I purchased Black Water treatment which is supposed to give the almond leaf extract to help lower my pH without putting actual leaves in there. I added plants at this time to help keep filtration. I also added a layer of sand that I washed thoroughly.

After a month I added cherry shrimp in different colors and tested again. I read 0s across the board, but pH rose to 8.6. Yesterday, after seemingly great test results I bought a betta fish from PetSmart. He has left my shrimp alone and is beautiful.

However, here is where I realize I messed up. I did not wait the five minutes for my test... I just immediately read the ammonia levels which showed 0. Upon waiting the 5 minutes tonight I found it to be at .5 ppm...

I have no idea what to do from here... I am freaking out because this was such a dumb mistake! I used this test kit forever ago and just assumed I remembered how to use it instead of re-reading instructions.

I have lost one of my cherries but overall, everyone seems okay. I know this is not something I should keep my tank at and that I am actively hurting them all. I would love some suggestions on how to get myself on the right track. It seems like the 0s for nitrites shows my tank is not cycled. I don't know why that would be since I have had a fish-in cycle for over a month now.

I did a 40% water change tonight, adding in the shrimp water conditioner and the black water additive. I will check on it tomorrow as well and continue doing 3 gallon water changes until it resolves unless there is any other advice I could follow.

TL;DR: I fish-in cycled and did not take my tests right. Turns out I have .5ppm ammonia and 0 nitrate and nitrite. How do I help my tank process the ammonia and how do I lower my pH without killing my shrimp and betta?

Please help me save my betta and shrimp! :facepalm:

What also may have happened is that the invertebrates never produced enough waste to register on your tests and cycle the tank. Now you have a fish there is enough waste, and your test is registering it. Even if the shrimp did produce enough waste to start the cycle, it will only have cycled sufficiently for the shrimp, add a betta, more waste and your cycle needs time to catch up.

You need to cycle the tank. There is a process for a fish in cycle. Do you know how to do this?

On the face of it, 0.5ppm ammonia is right where you want it to be to cycle. If it gets higher change some water.

What also may have happened is that the invertebrates never produced enough waste to register on your tests and cycle the tank. Now you have a fish there is enough waste, and your test is registering it. Even if the shrimp did produce enough waste to start the cycle, it will only have cycled sufficiently for the shrimp, add a betta, more waste and your cycle needs time to catch up.

You need to cycle the tank. There is a process for a fish in cycle. Do you know how to do this?

On the face of it, 0.5ppm ammonia is right where you want it to be to cycle. If it gets higher change some water.

Thank you so much. Yes, now that you say the amanos might not have been enough it makes complete sense. I will keep monitoring the ammonia to ensure it doesn't go above the 0.5ppm and if it does I will do water changes. Would you recommend doing 40% water changes anyway to be on the safe side? :thanks:

Your target should be ammonia + nitrite combined no higher than 0.5ppm. So if you are at 0.5ppm ammonia and 0.0ppm nitrite no need to do a water change.

This 0.5ppm combined target is relative safe for fish while leaving enough waste to cycle the tank. You need some waste in there otherwise there is no food for the bacteria you need to grow. Too many water changes will just result in you never being cycled.

Remember to keep an eye on nitrite too. As your cycle establishes you will likely start to see less ammonia but more nitrite.

Your target should be ammonia + nitrite combined no higher than 0.5ppm. So if you are at 0.5ppm ammonia and 0.0ppm nitrite no need to do a water change.

This 0.5ppm combined target is relative safe for fish while leaving enough waste to cycle the tank. You need some waste in there otherwise there is no food for the bacteria you need to grow. Too many water changes will just result in you never being cycled.

Remember to keep an eye on nitrite too. As your cycle establishes you will likely start to see less ammonia but more nitrite.

I test all four at once every time I test. I am getting KH and GH tests from API tomorrow via amazon so I can see those numbers as well.

Thank you so much for your help. I'll keep an eye out for nitrite and ammonia. NitrATE is okay, though, right?

Nitrate is fine up to a point. Generally the lower the better. 40ppm is fine for most fish unless they are particularly sensative. Many people keep fish just fine at higher nitrate levels. If you have live plants they need some nitrogen, which typically comes from nitrate in fish tanks, so if you have plants try and aim to have around 20ppm nitrate. If your tank isnt stocked enough to put that amount in the tank you may want to look at fertilisers that contain nitrogen, which will push your nitrate up.

Back
Top Bottom