empty 10 gal. (what to do with it)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zodiac692

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi i am looking for some suggestions on what to use this empty 10 gal. tank for. i am pretty new to the fish hobby so i am not to sure what fish would work out good in a tank that size.

Why you could make a hat, or a broach, or a pterodactyl!

Heh, sorry; got Airplane on the brain today. Anyway, what sort of fish are you interested in? Live bearers? Schooling fish? Cichlids? How is your water husbandry, and what type of water do you have (hardness, pH). Theres a LOT of choices out there, but we'll need some specifics to give you any ideas.

well i have city water, and as far as types of fish i am interested in hmmmmm, i was thinking cichlids but wasn't sure if the tank was to small or not but other then that, thats as far as i got with the thing

With a 10 gallon tank I would only reccomend dwarf chiclids. A pair of rams would be cool. Or maybe a small shell tank, look at Enki's for a good example. Make sure you do your research before you buy the fish though.

PUFFERS!

Puffers puffers puffers puffers

If I were you, I'd get puffers *nod*
Im not sure how many you could have in a 10 gal tho

You could partition it, put a little plantage in there, and keep a male betta in each partition. (the plants would give them places to hide from each other and rests from flaring)

Keep a school of white cloud minnows, you won't need to heat the tank, they'll eat anything, and they won't nasty the tank up like goldfish. And they look kinda purty (IMO). Especially the golden ones if you can find them.

Densely plant it and brag about what great fish you have, and let people try to find them.

Breed macrobrachium and sell them to people telling them they're ghost shrimp.

based on the information given, and my professional expertise, i would suggest filling the tank with lime jello.

there's nothing like 10 gallons of green jello to get you through Pro Bowl weekend...

excellent

(i guess fish would be an acceptable alternative...if you're into that sort of thing)

Oh I dunno...lime jello sounds like fun, although I dunno if you could get it to breed ;)

Dwarf puffers would also be a good choice, as would some of the small dwarf cichlids, such as a couple of Bolivian Rams or Cockatoo Dwarfs (Apistogramma cacatuoides - not as easy to find but very pretty). Keep in mind most dwarf cichlids do best in planted tanks with low hardness/pH levels, which I assume you have when you say you have "city water"; best to check it and be sure.

Is this your only tank?

I moved from a 10 gal to a 55 gal. Moved my fish in and got them some friends to swim with as well.

Suddenly I had a 10 gal empty tank. I posted on here about what to put in it. I wasn't sure for the longest time what I would use it for. Then sickness hit my tank. Luckily I had an empty 10 gal tank around to quarantine sick fishes...

If you already have another tank, I would seriously suggest keeping the 10 for a quarantine tank. Mine has already saved lives...

(edited for bad typos)

thanks for all the ideas. i think i am gonna move most of my platies and the few guppies i have to the 10gal i asked about and try to get some more gourami for my 20gal. any recommendations on the types of gourami out there?

thanks for all the ideas. i think i am gonna move most of my platies and the few guppies i have to the 10gal i asked about and try to get some more gourami for my 20gal. any recommendations on the types of gourami out there?

Back
Top Bottom