Estes Marine Sand for Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeb666

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am shortly going to be acquiring a 50 gallon tank and a pleco (along with other fish) from a friend, and I have been debating getting some Estes Marine Sand for it (its fine for freshwater), since I've read that plecos like burrowing in it. I heard a couple places that it has some sort of varnish or coating on it though, and i was wondering if that could hurt a pleco, who would presumably end up sucking on it. (On a side note, how do plecos not end up eating sand?) It seems like a good buy otherwise though, its heavy, not sharp, comes in black, is pretty clean, and is 36$ for 60 lbs.

The Estes company has been around a very long time and I don't recall using their product personally but I have heard positive things about them, they have natural stones as well. Have you thought about using Petco sand or Eco Complete for a planted tank.

There is another option you may be interested in checking, and that is Garnet sand from a sandblasting supplier, comes in different coarseness from super fine sand to little gravel size rocks. And different colors (Mauve, purple/grey and sunset colors, depending where it was mined, and our supply company in Denver has it for 18.99 per 50 lb bag. The shapes of the granules of the Garnet crystal naturally make it smoother and less sharp than some kinds of stones. Better for fish.

Something the Pleco will like the most is driftwood. They usually eat or like chewing wood. What kind is the Pleco? Common? And some plants too!

Back
Top Bottom