even more questions....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hadvisor

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I got my 46 gallon used, the owners were using two biowheel setups, a penguin 130 and a bio wheel pro 30 attached to a hot magnum canister filter. So, I have both running at the same time like they did. They did have some huge goldfish and cold water type fish in their tank-more waste than my little fish(mollys, gourami, angels ect...) Do I need both wheel setups going? I want to just use the canister pro 30 one by itself.

I have cheesy blue and white gravel-at first it didnt bother me but now it drives me crazy. In the future I want to have real plants so I want some more natural looking gravel that is smaller. How do you go about changing the gravel without disturbing everything? I'm guessing its a pain the the arse...

One of my gold gourami acts aggressive twards the other one and to my angels. It likes to chase them around a lot, not really nipping or anything-just chasing. Is that normal behavior/anything to worry about? Maybe I'm just trying to come up with an excuse to start up my other small tank 8)
That should be enough for now!
Don

I have been running a HOT Magnum with a Pro 30 on a 55 for several years. It has been one of the best filtration systems I've ever used and it's all you'll need on the 46g. Save that Penguin for your new tank that you'll be getting soon :twisted: .
As for the gravel, since you have bio wheels (they are wonderful for FW), I'd drain about 3/4 of the water out and save it in a container. Put the fish in the container with the tank water. I'd put the heater from the aquarium in with the fish also to insure that the water temp stays constant. A small dustpan works well to shovel out the old gravel. Wash the new gravel and put it in. Then the water and the fish back in. Yes, it will disturb everything. The fish should do OK...watch them for signs of stress. You may have an outbreak of ich, but probably not. Check your ammonia every day for a week or so. I don't think you'll have any trouble with it but I'd check it anyway.
If you are planning to have live plants, talk to Corvuscorax...he's our resident planted tank expert and can give you advice on the best substrate to use.
Some gouramis are more aggressive than others. If you notice the other fish hiding in the corners looking stressed, then you may need to get the gourami out. If not, he'll probably be all right.
Logan J

My Gold Gourami is a very territorial fish, so I have to keep a watchful eye, regularly on new additions. After about a week of chasing around the tank, he eventually leaves off.
The tables have turned now though, my large opalline Gourami is the one chasing him. It's nothing vicious, just an occasional dart across the tank, which I'm sure will die down soon enough.

CC checking in here.

Pretty busy today, but I will be glad to get to your questions about planted tanks very soon. Several different substrates to choose from, but I'm using Flourite with complete success.

Also, I do agree with Logan on the rest of your questions.

Now, if you realy want good plants, you probably need to be prepared to upgrade your lighting. I'd bet you have a regular hood with a single flourescent strip light.

46 gallon tank, what are the measurements, especially how deep it is? Getting 2 or more watts of light to the bottom of a deep tank takes a pretty high power set-up.

I'll try to address more later, but just got busted surfing at work by my boss :oops:

I have a lot of gourami's, and they're pretty assertive fish!

My 2 powder dwarfs are nice, but by 3 golds and 2 pink kissers mix it up with my red-tailed shark quite a bit! Nobody gets hurt, but they argue over territory quite a bit!

I wouldn't worry as long as none of their fins are getting nipped off.

CorvusCorax is our resident 'Gourami Lover' , aren't you Paul

Good memory, Grant!

I try to stay out of the Gourami discussions now, but I sure do see a lot of "my gourami is being mean" type posts! :p

Was looking at some at the LFS the other day, the golds and sunsets sure are pretty, but not for me! :)

Back
Top Bottom