Favorite tetra and or other schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking I could put
10x black skirt
6x rummy nose
6x silverip
To start out my fifty gallon long tank...
what do you guys think?

Sounds like a good tetra mix!

A word of caution about the pleco though... If it's a common pleco (I'm guessing yes since you mentioned it was a foot long) then it really needs a 150 gallon tank to avoid having it's growth stunted. I'd look into swapping it for a bristlenose pleco, they max out at 6"

Luananeko said:
Sounds like a good tetra mix!

A word of caution about the pleco though... If it's a common pleco (I'm guessing yes since you mentioned it was a foot long) then it really needs a 150 gallon tank to avoid having it's growth stunted. I'd look into swapping it for a bristlenose pleco, they max out at 6"

Thank you for your concern but I just got this tank and cannot get a tank that big I like ZUES to much to give him up! That why I got this one he will be fine for a while! But anyways u think the tetras would work good though? Even if I purchase them gradually?

What about serpae tetras anybody have those?!?! And also would maybe 5 Cory cats be ok? I would get more later but I'm on a budget will be getting these fish gradually I would prob shoot for ten Cory cats.. Whatcha think?

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
What about serpae tetras anybody have those?!?! And also would maybe 5 Cory cats be ok? I would get more later but I'm on a budget will be getting these fish gradually I would prob shoot for ten Cory cats.. Whatcha think?

Serpae are similar to Blackskirts in temperament. May be nippy to long fins or slower fish. Large group is best.

Corys love large groups. 5 is fine to start. What kind of Cory ??? They prefer soft sand or smooth rounded small gravel. They like to dig their faces into the sand :) I love mine !!

Coursair said:
Serpae are similar to Blackskirts in temperament. May be nippy to long fins or slower fish. Large group is best.

Corys love large groups. 5 is fine to start. What kind of Cory ??? They prefer soft sand or smooth rounded small gravel. They like to dig their faces into the sand :) I love mine !!

Will black skirts and or serpae tetras school tightly and all? And I would be a mix of peppered and albino probably 3 pepper 2 albino

I have long finned serpea tetras. I started with two, and they were very nippy. I upped it to 6, and all was fine. Since, all but 2 have died off, but they aren't nippy anymore, not even to each other. Ime, they are a fun and easy to keep fish.

Even when I had a lot, the serpeas weren't very tight schoolers, however the buenos aires tetras are almost constantly moving wroth one another. They only max at around 3 in. mine are a year old and aren't that big and 6 do fine in my 33g. Both fish can be found at almost any lfs.

Well will they school tightly??

As I believe has been mentioned, schooling is a defense mechanism and fish only school tightly when a predator is near.

I also agree that you need to rehome that pleco. Believe me, it pained me when I had to rehome my rainbow shark, but fishkeeping isn't about me, it's about the fish and doing what's right for them. I'm sure you wouldn't feel very good knowing that Zeus was in pain from being stunted in that size tank.

This thread is on TETRAS not PLECOS so please stay on topic lol and I know some tetras school just to school lol

Since you don't seem to understand what schooling is, I offer the following:

Schooling fish are fish that swim in synchronized patterns and bunch up together to look fiercer or bigger so they don’t get eaten in the will or slim down their chances of getting eaten. A good example would be Tuna.

Shoaling fish are fish that swim closely together and in a similar direction. Fish in the Shoal may go out and scavenge for food as they please. A good example would be tetras.

Read more: Shoaling and Schooling Fish

I also say go with the rummynose. Only rummynose. I have 20 in my 110gal and they ALWAYS stay in a tight school/shoal. They always swim together and only part ways when I feed them. They keep their color well and live longer than neons IMO

I havent seen anyone mention Penguin Tetras.
They are an active fish and school together when lights go out.

They are sometimes referred to as hockey stick fish due to their black stripe.

View attachment 94885

Jon

jondamon said:
I havent seen anyone mention Penguin Tetras.
They are an active fish and school together when lights go out.

They are sometimes referred to as hockey stick fish due to their black stripe.

Jon

What about when lights r on?

LyndaB said:
Since you don't seem to understand what schooling is, I offer the following:

Schooling fish are fish that swim in synchronized patterns and bunch up together to look fiercer or bigger so they don’t get eaten in the will or slim down their chances of getting eaten. A good example would be Tuna.

Shoaling fish are fish that swim closely together and in a similar direction. Fish in the Shoal may go out and scavenge for food as they please. A good example would be tetras.

Read more: Shoaling and Schooling Fish

And thanks Linda I didn't know that thank u so much a hate using the wrong word!
:D

They shoal during lights on rather than school but they will also go off and do their own things.

Jon

Yes, you'd want at least 10 if not more rummies. They do demand rock steady water parameters, though, so just be warned. It's not unusual to lose one or two during the first month while they transition into a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom