Favorite tetra and or other schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a fifty gallon ling tank and wanna get some schooling fish to go back and forth inthe tank... I was thinking about 6silvertip and maybe 4 black skirt but I want your opinion and the more opinion I get to read the more I will know! Thank you -tenacious

if your gonna get black skirts,do a big school.theyre major jerks

alLexX said:
depends whats in with them,longer fins=bigger school.what else is in the tank?

Right now just a 12" pleco and a couple gouramis which won't be there for long because I don't like guouramis... Well I might keep my blue one it's 2.5 inches but I would get rid of it in a heartbeat if it impeeds my tetra tank development the tank is 4 feet long one foot back and 18" high so it's nice and big!!

Right now just a 12" pleco and a couple gouramis which won't be there for long because I don't like guouramis... Well I might keep my blue one it's 2.5 inches but I would get rid of it in a heartbeat if it impeeds my tetra tank development the tank is 4 feet long one foot back and 18" high so it's nice and big!!
they might nip the gouramis feelers,but the pleco will be fine. if your just doing tetras,id do like 10. that way you have room for another school

I also have my heart set on an African butterfly fish :) which I am scared may take a couple nip at the silvertip tetras :/

Buenos aires are a very active tetra, however if you are thinking about live plants they may not be a goOd choice a they will eat almost any type of planet.

Mikalicious209 said:
Buenos aires are a very active tetra, however if you are thinking about live plants they may not be a goOd choice a they will eat almost any type of planet.

Buenos aires?!?!?!

I have a school of ten black skirts and they don't bother my other fish. I absolutly love them when they school! They tried to pick on my pearl danios at first but couldn't catch them. ;) They also don't bother the dwarf gournami, they tend to just chase themselves.

You could go with giant danios. Once they reach full color they are beautiful. They are also pretty fast, love to school and are playful. You wouldn't need to worry about them nipping or being nipped.

Let me put it like this, I keep them with firemouth and jack dempsey cichlids, the cichlids don't even try to mess with them.

They're right ... I purchased 2 danios once not knowing anything and they never stopped chasing everyone haha

Schooling fish are among my favorites. I really enjoy my rummynose tetras, ember tetras and white cloud mountain minnows, which all school, some times all those species all school together, too.

Danios of almost all varieties are amazingly active and lively shoalers, definitely a lot of fun as long as they're in a 3 ft long tank or bigger. They need the length to really get their speed up. If you want straight up color rather than activity, Neon or Cardinal Tetras are your best bet. If you want really tight schooling action you should look into Rummynose tetras, as most other tetra/rasbora/danio types will "shoal" (somewhat hang out and follow each other, but mostly do their own thing unless they perceive a threat), not really "school" in the true meaning of the word (stick tightly together facing the same direction).

I love my tetra, although they were labeled green tetra in the shop they look very blue.

Attachments

• image-940800802.jpg
    image-940800802.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 64
I would recommend Diamond Tetras or Von Rio's. They are both equally attractive IMO. The Diamonds are far more active and look awesome swimming around in groups. I have 11 in my 75g and they are one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom