Feeding Bristlenose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently added a small BNP to my tank to clean up my algae. He has done a great job so far, and I am now wondering if he's eating enough. I constantly see him munching around the driftwood and rocks, but the diatoms/brown algae that was present isn't around anymore.

So, is he eating enough as it is by his constant activity, or should I supplement it with something else?

I've seen NLS/hikari make algea/carnivorous wafers, so which of them would be best?

Also, I've read some experiences of people blanching cucumbers to cut up and feed to their plecos. Is it as simple as buying a cucumber from the supermarket, dropping it in boiling water for 2 minutes then dropping it in the tank near the pleco?

I use the Hikari mini algae wafers for my BN. Actually, all my fish love them. The goofy blue ram will pick one up and carry it around so no one else can have it (I usually put in 4). I have done cucs. I actually sliced and froze them. Then pried one off and put it in the microwave in water for a minute to thaw and soften it up. I have an algae clip to put the cuc on then leave it for a day.

For all my pleco's I feed cooked, deshelled, and slighted smashed peas about every 3rd day and mine prefer 1/4" or so thick slices of zucchini, cooked, and hung on veggie clips. I have gotten so I add the zucchini slices (3 long one's with no skin) daily around noon and leave them in till the next morning. I have found that all my algae eaters (pleco's oto's, whiptail cats, nerite snails) all eat on it day and night plus and this is a big plus I have 12 adult angels who love plant nibbling and by leaving the zucchini in during the day they have stopped plant nibbling almost completely. The zucchini only takes a minute to fix... I just peel a section, slice, pop in the microwave about 10 or so seconds, remove and run it under cold water to stop the cooking process (blanching), hang it securely on a veggie clip, and put it in.

I use the Hikari mini algae wafers for my BN. Actually, all my fish love them. The goofy blue ram will pick one up and carry it around so no one else can have it (I usually put in 4). I have done cucs. I actually sliced and froze them. Then pried one off and put it in the microwave in water for a minute to thaw and soften it up. I have an algae clip to put the cuc on then leave it for a day.

Haha! My ram does that too, except he is Bolivian. Must be a ram thing. He takes the shrimp pellets and algae wafers and sneaks off to his lil cave with them. Lol

Back
Top Bottom