Feeding egg yolk to fry! Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my platy fry isn't eating very well so my mom offered to give me an egg because I told her that they like eatin egg yolk

Im still unclear as to do it because the YouTube videos have bad angles and I couldn't see how he was making it

Can someone explain how to do this? Also I'm only going to be using 1-2 drops of it. Is there any way to save the rest?

Go look at what someone said on another thread you ask a lot of questions lol

That's not helpful at all.

You basically want to boil the egg, let it cool and remove the egg yolk. You can put it in a airtight container and store it in the fridge and it should be fine for a week or two. You basically take a toothpick to get a small bit of it to feed with, it only takes a tiny bit.

I don't really like feeding egg yolk, I prefer using microworms or some other live food, the egg yolk can get really messy.

jetajockey said:
That's not helpful at all.

You basically want to boil the egg, let it cool and remove the egg yolk. You can put it in a airtight container and store it in the fridge and it should be fine for a week or two. You basically take a toothpick to get a small bit of it to feed with, it only takes a tiny bit.

I don't really like feeding egg yolk, I prefer using microworms or some other live food, the egg yolk can get really messy.

Thanks for understanding me, jetajockey. You are always patient with my idiocy ;)

I fed my guppy fry egg yolk during their younger years and they gobbled it up.

Just take the egg yolk out of a hard boiled egg, get a toothpick and add a drop of water in a small container and mix it with a bit of the yolk. It'll create a paste that'll dissolve into smaller pieces for the fry to eat.

When I feed them egg yolk, I normally do a PWC within the next 48hours, seeing as it makes the water foul a lot quicker. :)

don't use egg youlk. It will make the water discusting no matter how careful you are with it. Fry don't really need food the first few days, then they will eat fry food you can get from a LFS and later they will eat BBS (baby brine shrimp) and eventually Adult brine shrimp and water daphinia. Egg yolk is not worth it unless you want your water smelling like rotten eggs and stinking up the house.

Livebearer fry come out nice and large and should be pretty easy to feed. I don't think egg yolk is necessary-- I would think that would be more useful for smaller, less developed fry like cichlid fry, for example. I've always been able to feed livebearer fry with crushed flake food (crush it into powder), commercially prepared food like Hikari Fry Bites, or other very small foods like golden pearls (I get mine from Ken's Fish).

I disagree that you wouldn't need to feed your livebearer fry from the get go-- IMO you should. Not feeding fry immediately would pertain more to egg laying fish, since the fry will hatch out as wigglers with a yolk sac still attached to them. This does indeed mean that you don't need to feed egg layer fry for a few days, since they are still absorbing what is left of the yolk sac. You wouldn't want to feed them until they go free swimming. Since livebearer fry are born with no yolk sac and are already free swimming, they do need to be fed as soon as possible.

severum mama said:
Livebearer fry come out nice and large and should be pretty easy to feed. I don't think egg yolk is necessary-- I would think that would be more useful for smaller, less developed fry like cichlid fry, for example. I've always been able to feed livebearer fry with crushed flake food (crush it into powder), commercially prepared food like Hikari Fry Bites, or other very small foods like golden pearls (I get mine from Ken's Fish).

I disagree that you wouldn't need to feed your livebearer fry from the get go-- IMO you should. Not feeding fry immediately would pertain more to egg laying fish, since the fry will hatch out as wigglers with a yolk sac still attached to them. This does indeed mean that you don't need to feed egg layer fry for a few days, since they are still absorbing what is left of the yolk sac. You wouldn't want to feed them until they go free swimming. Since livebearer fry are born with no yolk sac and are already free swimming, they do need to be fed as soon as possible.

Thank you. I will definitely put this into good use once I get Bolivian ram fry as well

Egg youlk

Still i wouldn't want you to feed egg yolk, it will just make the water rotten and taste bad to the fish. They make a fine powder hikiri fry bites that they will eat. Also just crush up flake food to a very fine powder. And im sure they will eat frozen baby brine shrimp. Theres so many other things they will eat feeding egg youlk is just an honest way to foul the water and make it stink. Maybe you could cover it up with melafix but im sure the fry wouldn't like that water, and you would have to do frequent large water changes.

Matt68005 said:
Still i wouldn't want you to feed egg yolk, it will just make the water rotten and taste bad to the fish. They make a fine powder hikiri fry bites that they will eat. Also just crush up flake food to a very fine powder. And im sure they will eat frozen baby brine shrimp. Theres so many other things they will eat feeding egg youlk is just an honest way to foul the water and make it stink. Maybe you could cover it up with melafix but im sure the fry wouldn't like that water, and you would have to do frequent large water changes.

Yeah all I'm doing now is feeding them First Bites by Hikari

chrismiller21 said:
I take flake food, put it in a small bowl and crush it up till its fine like pepper. 2 small pinches a day and everyone of my platty fry eat it up. Not had any problems.

What do you crush it up with

Back
Top Bottom