feeding frozen bloodworms.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crispo069

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, so I finally added some fish to my moderately planted tank. My Oto's seem to be enjoying themselves....and I just added some Zebra Danios (a few more species to come)...my question lies in the feeding.

I bought some high quality flake food and some frozen bloodworms. I feed twice a day with a bit of flake and was planning on feeding some bloodworms once a week or so. How do I feed the bloodworms? I'm sure I have to defrost them first, then do I just dump that whole cube in the tank??? or do I just take out the worms themselves???? Do I hold them and allow the fish to eat them from my fingers or tweezers or do I just drop them in the tank??? I'm sure this may seem like a dumb question, but I have absolutely no idea how to feed bloodworms!!!! historically I've only fed flake....:oops:

You can feed them any way you like . Its not reconmended to dump them frozen as most fish are sensitive to temp - the cold food . I have thawed and the put the cube in and I also let the fish take the worms from my hand . so it is you call. As for amount the same rules apply don't give more the the fish will actively eat in a few minutes.

I just break off a piece and hold it in the tank while it defrosts.......or put it in a cone feeder.

You could also just drop it in......the fish don't care. :)

Just make sure you start with a small amount until you get an idea how much they will eat.....you don't want to overfeed.

Jchillin said:
My fish want their worms slightly defrosted

Ya mine are always buggin me to thaw them out too but I don't wanna spoil them. :)
Plus it's funny to watch them hold their heads and scream "ahhhh" when they get brainfreeze.

GlitcH said:
Jchillin said:
My fish want their worms slightly defrosted

Ya mine are always buggin me to thaw them out too but I don't wanna spoil them. :)
Plus it's funny to watch them hold their heads and scream "ahhhh" when they get brainfreeze.
Ok, that made me laugh out loud!! Poor fishies!

I figure if they want them that badly they can go and get them out of the fridge themselves. :)

I give a half to each tank every Saturday. I do drop them in some water first to thaw them out.

ok so once a week is ok....and I guess I'll go real light in the beginning just to how much of it they can eat.....I feel like I'm hosting an eating contest here, eat as much as you can in 2 minutes or less....

When I feed my fish their bloodworm's, I have a shot glass, and I fill it up with tank water and put a cube in there and let it thaw out, and once they are thawed just suck them up with a syrnage(I know that is missed spelled. LOL) and then just spay it in the tank.

I do basically the same thing, I use a small tupperware container filled with 1/2" of tank water to thaw them out. But I just use my fingers and pinch it and drop it in the tank.

I just place a small piece in a bowl of water and when thawed, dump worms and water into tank. I'd have to say be careful... I was amazed at how many bloodworms there were in such a small chunk off the main block!

I thaw mine out first, then dump them down a 1 1/2" clear tube which is just above the gravel. The fish know exactly what the tube is for, lol. They swarm around the bottom waiting for the bloodworms to come down the tube and exit the bottom, lol. Some even swim up the tube, like the shark that slapped me in the face, lol.

I thaw the frozen block in a dixie cup of warm tank water. I swirl the cup to break up the clump and slowly pour the worms into a splashing horde of hungry fish.

My angelfish get all excited when they see the dixie cups because they know what's coming! Bloodworms cause all my tetras to lose their fear and respect of the angelfish. I've had 1/2 inch bloodfin tetras snatch a bloodworm right out of a four inch angelfish' mouth!

wow....seems like everyone knows how to feed bloodworms except for me!!!....

now I know.

THanks all!!!

lolx, I guess most people shake in tank water to defrost. For me, I just place the cube on top of the aquarium light. The heat defrost it pretty fast, then I just dump them into the water.

Normally I just feed 1 cube or 2, depends on the rate of feeding. Just add normal flake food or something if they do not have enough to eat. :)

I use a small fish net. I place some tank water in a plastic container and put the cube of worms into the fish net and submerge it until it thaws. I then remove the net and put it in the tank and just turn the net inside out. The worms are released and the use of the net is an easy way to separate the worms from the stained water.

hmm - once a week? i feed bloodworms every 2 or 3 days! my fish go nuts for it, i think i would get in trouble if they got it less often... and the bumblebee goby ONLY eats bloodworm (or live food, but that's a pain to get around here).

Back
Top Bottom