Feeding My Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexandraDanielle21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. If you read my last thread you know that I was getting a pleco. Well, last Saturday i drove across town a purchased a small, striped bristle nose (I think, it could be spotted too). Anyway, he has been a great help around my tank and I've already grown attached to him, but feeding him has grown rather difficult. Whenever a place an algae wafer in front of him he starts eating, but then my balloon belly Molly swims by and takes it. He gets scared and hides under the decorations instead of trying to get it back. I started feeding the other fish when I was feeding him, but they eat faster and then take his food! What should I do? I want to make sure that he is actually getting a decent meal each day but he isn't big enough to defend himself.

Had the same problem. In the end I split 2 wafers in half, dropped 2 halves in and while they were distracting the other fish I dropped the other 2 halves in near my flash plec, he got quite a bit that way!!

Had the same problem. In the end I split 2 wafers in half, dropped 2 halves in and while they were distracting the other fish I dropped the other 2 halves in near my flash plec, he got quite a bit that way!!

Thanks, I'll try that. He just isn't fast enough to eat his food before they get to him. :)

Your fish might like vegetables too, but try cucumber or zuchinni. Make a small slice, stick a spoon or something in or around it to make it sink. Leave it overnight, make sure it is out before 24 hours. Pleco's usually do a lot of moving at night, and the other fish might be sleeping.

Your fish might like vegetables too, but try cucumber or zuchinni. Make a small slice, stick a spoon or something in or around it to make it sink. Leave it overnight, make sure it is out before 24 hours. Pleco's usually do a lot of moving at night, and the other fish might be sleeping.

Thanks. I've heard that some of the other fish might not like it even so that sounds like a great idea. :) (y)

Hey guys. If you read my last thread you know that I was getting a pleco. Well, last Saturday i drove across town a purchased a small, striped bristle nose (I think, it could be spotted too). Anyway, he has been a great help around my tank and I've already grown attached to him, but feeding him has grown rather difficult. Whenever a place an algae wafer in front of him he starts eating, but then my balloon belly Molly swims by and takes it. He gets scared and hides under the decorations instead of trying to get it back. I started feeding the other fish when I was feeding him, but they eat faster and then take his food! What should I do? I want to make sure that he is actually getting a decent meal each day but he isn't big enough to defend himself.

I used to have the same problem until my pleco grew up. What I did was feed my fish their normal diet plus some algae wafers and then about 30 minutes after I turned out the lights, I fed more algae wafers for the pleco. That seemed to work.

I used to have the same problem until my pleco grew up. What I did was feed my fish their normal diet plus some algae wafers and then about 30 minutes after I turned out the lights, I fed more algae wafers for the pleco. That seemed to work.

An excellent suggestion as well. All of the others tire early while the pleco remains active. That is probably the best time to feed him as the others would've just eaten.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom