Feeding Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffergirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I heard that you can feed your plecos vegetables such as lettuce, zuchinni and orange??? Is this true? Also potatoes? Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this? :rocol:

It is right what you have heard about pleco's likeing Lettice, and Zuchinni (what ever that is). I don't know about Orange and potatoes i have never tried that.
They also like wood, so it is a good idea to put a piece of bog wood in the tank for him to graze over.
Your pleco will graze on the algae in the tank, but it is nice to suppliment his diet
with other things.

HTH

Hiya puffergirl and welcome to AquariumAdvice :)

Yep, plecs lurve veggies. I've tried cucumbers and my guy could have cared less, tho other folks have had plecs that inhaled it. I also tried zucchini (I think its called courgette over there Terry) and my guy liked it so much he even ate the rind, which supposedly they don't like! Never tried lettuce, potatoes or oranges.

If you try veggies, make sure you blanche them or give them 10-20 seconds in the microwave first. Cut em in half or in slices, and attach to a veggie clip or rubberband them (they float; I used the weights that plants come with). For cukes you're supposed to remove the seeds.

And suckermouth cats do need driftwood; they need the lignin in the wood fiber for digestion.

Thanks Allivymar for clearing that up for me,

Gourgette. Yuk

I will give that a try, do you need to weight it down like cuccumber.

many thanks

Any veggie will need to be weighted down. I rubber band them to a plastic fork and stick the fork into the gravel.

I feed mine the ends of celery stalks. They keep forever in the freezer, and only take a minute to thaw in the microwave. Both my pleco and my crab love to munch on the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom