Feeding question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just wondered how many bloodworms I should be feeding my dwarf puffer per day?

He has a tank full of pond snails of various sizes, I can always tell when he has been eating them as I can see the snail shaped bumps in his fat belly!!

He also really loves bloodworms (won't touch mosquito larva or sea monkeys) I have been offering him 2/3 blood worms per day which he seems very happy about...is this ok?

He is still very small, about 1.5cms.
Many thanks, look forward to hearing from anyone :)

Sounds like you are doing a fine job feeding him. Be careful about constant availability of the snails tho. Puffers will eat too much sometimes and emplode their own stomach.
3-4 snails 2 times weekly is enough to keep there beak worn down. And 3-4 blood worms once or twice a day should keep your little guy happy.

Sounds like you are doing a fine job feeding him. Be careful about constant availability of the snails tho. Puffers will eat too much sometimes and emplode their own stomach.
3-4 snails 2 times weekly is enough to keep there beak worn down. And 3-4 blood worms once or twice a day should keep your little guy happy.

Thank u Nimo :) I did wonder about the snails being in his tank?! (I don't have anywhere else to put them as they didn't breed in my other tank) he seems to be keeping the population under control as he only eats the ones that are about the size of his eye. Thanks again for you reply :)

Careful not to overfeed. Its difficult to starve them, too easy to overfeed.

Overfeeding is worse than underfeeding. Feed until tummy slightly roumded.

Hi, Thanks for your reply! I've read your puff profiles, they were extremely helpful and interesting :)

Having read my read my initial post do you think that sounds too much? I'd be most grateful for any advice and tips. I worry that his diet isn't varied enough...he spat out whiteworms and wouldn't go near sea monkeys. I trained him to feed from my tweezers so he knows when food is being offered...I thought I might try a small chunk of fresh shrimp? What do you think?

Many thanks again :)

Hi Terrance glad to see you chime in. Thanks to you I have a happy healthy spotted puffer completly converted to salt. He has alot of personality. Due to agression I had to rehome all but one but he is great and has a Tomato clown and a Damsel as tank mates now along with some live rock and corals.
For the OP Terrance can help you out alot.

Hi, Thanks for your reply! I've read your puff profiles, they were extremely helpful and interesting :)

Having read my read my initial post do you think that sounds too much? I'd be most grateful for any advice and tips. I worry that his diet isn't varied enough...he spat out whiteworms and wouldn't go near sea monkeys. I trained him to feed from my tweezers so he knows when food is being offered...I thought I might try a small chunk of fresh shrimp? What do you think?

Many thanks again :)

One slightly rounded tummy once per day is good enough. I think your snail population had dwindled now, and you can continue feeding once daily. Snails will be good for hunting. Try blackworms if you want to try other types of food since its a good staple food, better than bloodworms. Blackworms and snails are the best food to keep as a staple IMO, raw shrimp is good as well. You can try as many types of food as you would like.

Good to hear your puff is doing well Nimo.

One slightly rounded tummy once per day is good enough. I think your snail population had dwindled now, and you can continue feeding once daily. Snails will be good for hunting. Try blackworms if you want to try other types of food since its a good staple food, better than bloodworms. Blackworms and snails are the best food to keep as a staple IMO, raw shrimp is good as well. You can try as many types of food as you would like.

Good to hear your puff is doing well Nimo.

Ok, thanks. I tried some shrimp tonight (even cut a piece to the size and shape of a bloodworms) lol!! He took a couple if bites and promptly spat them out and came to the glass as if to scold me :-D funny little guy.

Will look into blackworms, not herd of them.
Great to have your expertise, thanks again to all for input.

Ok, thanks. I tried some shrimp tonight (even cut a piece to the size and shape of a bloodworms) lol!! He took a couple if bites and promptly spat them out and came to the glass as if to scold me :-D funny little guy.

Will look into blackworms, not herd of them.
Great to have your expertise, thanks again to all for input.

Lol. They do have alot of personality and let you know when they are not happy.

Lol. They do have alot of personality and let you know when they are not happy.

Very true!! Puffers and Cory cats are definitely my favourite fish due to their personalities!! V entertaining :)

Back
Top Bottom