feeding rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well If rainbows had larger throats I'm sure they really wouldn't mind larger pieces. You see, they have decent sized mouths but their throats tend to be small so they cant swallow the larger pieces.

I've been putting ALOT of thought into a rainbow tank. I think I'm really gonna do it. I absolutely adore my yellow rainbow (Pheonix) and I KNOW he loves me. It's fish like this that I can keep. Ones that can establish a bond with their owners. Makes it all worth while.

Pheonix is quite the character though.
He's always such a happy fish but when he got Ich about a month ago he always just kinda stared at me like "dude I thought we were homies, what are ya doin' to me? fix me quick!!!" but I did the salt/heat method so it would obviously take some time.
Well, now he's all cured and I think he knows I did it to him. There isnt a single time where I put my face up to the glass and he immediately comes over to greet me and he won't move until I do.
...pretty loyal fella!

I think I'm going to pick up a few more yellows and 4 or 5 Boesmans (keeping the F:M ratio)
I think it'll really lighten up my tank.

-Dan

mine are really active and swimming all the time.. I would recommend rainbows to anyone that would ask.. They spend so much time at the front of my tank showing themselves off..

Fishalicious let us know if you find females...

Mooose

Why are they hard to find? I know I haven't really seen any at my LFS but they don't carry many rainbows to begin with.

I'm pretty positive the Yellow Rainbow I have is a male. It's colors are very strong and when I had another rainbow in there, it would always show off and to my knowledge, only the males do that. Only weird thing is, he doesnt have the under belly (?) that the males get. But that might come with age. I really dont know how old he is but he definitely isn't fully grown.

I can't wait to get more. I was thinking about doing the aquabid thing (either 5 rainbows or a MOP) but It's getting colder out and I like to hand pick my fish. Shipping is also very expensive (I think they shouldnt charge as much for the fish) and if there is a DOA, sure, I get a new fish provided I show a picture but then I got to pay another $35-$42 for one fish!!

-Dan

Back
Top Bottom