feeding seafood ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok.. I do this for my sw tank, but i've found that my cichlids love shrimp.. yes some will say they are still herbivores, I do feed them spirulina cubes and flakes daily and seafood such as shrimp or maybe some other marine creature..

is this bad, good ?

i've been doing it for months now and I haven't noticed anything bad coming from it.. no bloat, nothing..

your thoughts..

-thane

It may be slightly unnatural, but other than that if they are doing fine it probably is okay. Perhaps it would be best to feed them freshwater live food though, it seems like marine creatures would have alien substances in it to a freshwater fish, so the chichlids might poop out more than they would if it was something their bodies have adapted to eating. But it is probably fine.

I sometimes throw a tiny salad shrimp in my tank and my fish love it. I've never noticed any ill affect from this.

Quite fine and common....besides, if you have ever looked at the ingredient list on most commercial flake/pellet diets, you will find that they are made primarily from ocean fish.

I know of many people whom feed their fish shrimp. In fact, I know of a LFS that solely feeds their Silver Arowana market shrimp. I've also seen freshwater Stingrays and Puffers fed shrimp... It's defintely fine :)

Your yellow labs are the most likely to get bloat from feeding protein, but as long as you are also feeding the spirulina flake, and you might want to serve up a slice of zuchinni a couple of times a week, things should be fine.

Pacifico said:
I know of many people whom feed their fish shrimp. In fact, I know of a LFS that solely feeds their Silver Arowana market shrimp. I've also seen freshwater Stingrays and Puffers fed shrimp... It's defintely fine :)

Sounds like my place...my fish go through 2 lbs of raw market prawns weekly.

Back
Top Bottom