female betta as a centerpiece?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhloeM

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi! so that title is confusing, but i will explain! ;) my 10 gallon is empty and i've decided that i want to start fresh with a community-ish tank!
here's my stock that i'm sure about
•school of 8-12 ember tetras
AND
•1 centerpiece fish

my question is about the centerpiece fish. the options that i'm considering are as follows:
•1 peacock gudgeon
OR
•1 dwarf honey gourami
OR
•1 female betta***

*the female betta is what i wanted to ask about. i have male bettas but have never had a female. i was wondering if a female betta would work in this tank. would she be too aggressive and/or too active? please let me know, and don't be angry with me if that is a totally ridiculous idea because i honestly don't have a clue if it will work! thanks! :)

Any female betta is subject to personality, if you plan on trying it, be prepared to have a separate tank to keep the girl in if she doesn't like the tetras

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thanks!! i do have an empty 5 gallon that could serve as a backup tank, however i'm leaning towards just playing it safe with one of my other two options so that i can just have a peaceful community :)

The female should work, the embers are pretty fast and will dodge the betta!

However there is a chance (very small chance) that you get a betta that tolerates no fish and will make life miserable for the others.... In that case I'd try to exchange it at your lfs....

If you are to get any tetra for a peaceful community I totally agree with ember tetras. I keep 8 with a male betta and they are quick so he doesn't even bother charging at them. But it really does depend on personality. Females do tend to be more peaceful too. I think it's safe to try.

Back
Top Bottom