Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys

I need some help, I'm trying to find the right size filter for a 500ltr or 136g fish tank. Does anyone know of a decent brand and how many Litres an hour turn over I would need?

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Well it depends on if your wanting a canister or hob's? I've got a fluval fx5 and a hob. My water is crystal clear. The fx5 is rated at 900 gph but once you put media in it will be lowered. I can't find a better canister yet.

boadams87 said:
Well it depends on if your wanting a canister or hob's? I've got a fluval fx5 and a hob. My water is crystal clear. The fx5 is rated at 900 gph but once you put media in it will be lowered. I can't find a better canister yet.

Can you explain what a hob's filter is? I have never heard about them or how they work. I have canister filters on my other 2 tanks. One is Ehiem and the other 2 are aquamanta.

I have read a lot about the fx5 and I was considering buying one. I just wanted to know what other options I had.

Thanks.

HOB filters is short for hang on bank filters. I would highly recommend getting 2 aquaclear 110s. Each aquaclear 110 filters 500gallon per hour if I am not wrong.

Guinness said:
Can you explain what a hob's filter is? I have never heard about them or how they work. I have canister filters on my other 2 tanks. One is Ehiem and the other 2 are aquamanta.

I have read a lot about the fx5 and I was considering buying one. I just wanted to know what other options I had.

Thanks.

If you want an fx5, you can get them the cheapest on amazon. Unless you find one on CL!

Cornstar said:
HOB filters is short for hang on bank filters. I would highly recommend getting 2 aquaclear 110s. Each aquaclear 110 filters 500gallon per hour if I am not wrong.

Thanks for that. I have never seen those type of filters, I will get on google now and have a look.

Cheers

boadams87 said:
If you want an fx5, you can get them the cheapest on amazon. Unless you find one on CL!

Ok thanks for the reply, we don't have CL in England. I will have a look at amazon tho see what I can find out.

Thanks.

Ok I have had a look at the hob's filters. I'm not sure they would fit my tank as it has a solid wood lid. I have found the fx5 for £217 brand new. It's quite a bit of kit. Does anyone use one that can give me some idea if they are worth the money?

Guinness said:
Ok I have had a look at the hob's filters. I'm not sure they would fit my tank as it has a solid wood lid. I have found the fx5 for £217 brand new. It's quite a bit of kit. Does anyone use one that can give me some idea if they are worth the money?

I use it. Worth every dime!!!!!

A sump adds a decent amount of water to your setup. It creates more water in your system so when something does go wrong, you can fix it! I have a bio ball setup but you can add a refugium if you choose to. Many people use them on saltwater setups but I feel that are great for freshwater as well! If you get like a 15 gallon one that would be perfect. I have a 15 and use it for my 30 in my dorm room. Google this is a good place to start if you would like that route. Getting a HOB is good if you don't want to go through this big filter setup.

xtra51 said:
A sump adds a decent amount of water to your setup. It creates more water in your system so when something does go wrong, you can fix it! I have a bio ball setup but you can add a refugium if you choose to. Many people use them on saltwater setups but I feel that are great for freshwater as well! If you get like a 15 gallon one that would be perfect. I have a 15 and use it for my 30 in my dorm room. Google this is a good place to start if you would like that route. Getting a HOB is good if you don't want to go through this big filter setup.

I will do some research on using a sump as I think it might be the way to go. I will have to make sure the cabinet will accommodate it as I don't have the tank yet. I will have to phone the manufacturer to ask if they can make the cabinet to house one.

I'm having the tank and cabinet specially made for me.

Mmmm no I hadn't thought about that. What size sump would I need and how do they work on a FW tank? What do you put in them?

Cheers

You would only need like a 10 gallon. If you wanted you could put bio balls in them or just make a refugium out of it like in the saltwater trade. I have a 15 gallon sump filtering my 30 gallon. I like it because it adds more water valume to my setup. More water equals less things to go wrong.

+1 on FX5 / Using on a 150gal.

Using a sump would be nice too if you have the room. Can always add a grow out/isolation area in the sump for various uses (not QT since it's the same water).

Amazon is a good place to read reviews.

+1 on FX5 / Using on a 150gal.

Using a sump would be nice too if you have the room. Can always add a grow out/isolation area in the sump for various uses (not QT since it's the same water).

Amazon is a good place to read reviews.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on the Aquon ProFlex brand or any for that matter unless you get it used and cheap. I got mine for like 30 bucks, originally 300! SCORE! You could always just build your own as well.

If he used a 10 gallon, the first time there is a power failure it would flood. You have to keep in mind the water displacement from the top of the main tank. On my 125 the top 2" = 11.3 gallons of water.

Ok. I have decided against using a sump, one reason is I can't afford to have the tank drilled, but the main reason is I am used to using external filters and i have had no trouble with them what so ever, so stick to what you know I think.

I have had a few prices from my lfs and the best price for the fluval fx5 is £175 including all the media.

I'm also looking at the TMC V2 power box to run alongside my Eheim 2026. The V2 is rated up to 400ltr tanks and so is the Eheim so they should work well together.
The V2 is £122 not a bad price I don't think.

you dont need to drill the tank for a sump, you can always just get a hang on overflow. I love the idea of sumps cause you can keep all your equipment in there and not have to stare at it.

If you want to stick with a canister I recommend the Fluval FX5.

If he used a 10 gallon, the first time there is a power failure it would flood. You have to keep in mind the water displacement from the top of the main tank. On my 125 the top 2" = 11.3 gallons of water.

No you don't. You have to make sure you don't have to much water in for back pressure. It has nothing to do with how big your sump is, it all depends on where your back siphon stops. you can have a 10 gallon tank with a 400 gallon sump, and it could be filled and not overflow.

Back
Top Bottom