Filter and moving bed media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themox

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I've got a strange question. I've seen a lot of good things spoken about moving bed filters, mainly home made ones, and I wanted to know if (rather than using an air stone and a plastic bottle etc for it) I could use k1 media in the sponge compartment of my internal filter?

Rather than using the sponge already in it, the media could be placed in that compartment - would it move and filter as it should?

The filter I'm referring to is Internal Aquarium Filteration

Hey guys,

I've got a strange question. I've seen a lot of good things spoken about moving bed filters, mainly home made ones, and I wanted to know if (rather than using an air stone and a plastic bottle etc for it) I could use k1 media in the sponge compartment of my internal filter?

Rather than using the sponge already in it, the media could be placed in that compartment - would it move and filter as it should?

The filter I'm referring to is Internal Aquarium Filteration

The link didn't show how the internal sections of the filter are set up, so it's impossible to say if the K1 would be able to move or not.

That said, though, it would require running an air line/stone to the section with the K1 to enable it to move. It needs the air to properly grow the bacteria. If the sponge compartment was at the top of the filter, there should be no problem. Under that, though, and you'd likely have problems with the air pushing the other compartments out of place & causing the filter to not work properly or break.

What you can do instead is to get a HOB filter and fill it with the K1, making sure that the pieces can't get into the impeller section or get dumped out with the exiting water. A couple pieces of plastic mesh would take care of that.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom