Filter and tank stability problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chels10117

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I really wanted to upgrade my filter. I got a fluval aquaclear 70 and love it. I just now had time to set it up today. We had to move the tank out from the wall a few inches so we could put it behind the tank. But now I have a problem... My tank is not stable. It's on carpet. When it was closer to the wall with the old filter we had it screwed in to the wall by the stand with some long screws. Now it's too far away to screw it to the wall. It sways slightly if you push it with medium force. So I'm concerned it may fall over.... Ideas? Help? Lol. My dad said he would try to think of something... He's good at that stuff.

Also, I set up the filter but I had a question about the order of the filter media. The directions say to set it up as mechanical, chemical, and then biological. But I've heard from people that it's supposed to be mechanical, biological, and then chemical... I tried to do it that way and the carbon would float up and affected the flow of the filter. So I had to switch it back to how the directions said to do it. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Consider some brackets inside the corners from the hardware store. Or get some scrap blocks cut and glue to the corners top and bottom. Kinda hard to guess without knowing what the exact condition/problem is, you can build a frame inside the cabinet to make it stronger too. Or make your own. Or second hand oak cabinet like from an office printer cabinet. Can paint any color.

Consider some brackets inside the corners from the hardware store. Or get some scrap blocks cut and glue to the corners top and bottom. Kinda hard to guess without knowing what the exact condition/problem is, you can build a frame inside the cabinet to make it stronger too. Or make your own. Or second hand oak cabinet like from an office printer cabinet. Can paint any color.

+1.
Blocks of scrap wood, angle brackets and lag screws into the nearest stud might work.
You may find that over time it will become more stable on its own as the carpet padding becomes compressed.
The media should be fine with sponge on the bottom and carbon above that with the ceramic media on top. In most setups it is preferred to have mechanical filtration first as the other media types work more efficiently free of debris. The carbon will eventually become exhausted. Many folks omit carbon. You can add more biomedia in its place or use filter floss. I prefer the latter since the sponge is rather course and does not trap finer particles.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All my tanks are on carpet and with the 2 and 4 year old wild boys in my house, they are all lag bolted into studs with steel "L" brackets. No more swaying and no more worrying.

I do have a sturdier cabinet I could switch it out for but I really like the one I have because my tank is a bow front and it is the shape of the tank. It's kinda a crappy stand tho. It's press board. I have no idea how it supports 360+ lbs. I'll have to look into some sort of brackets. Or, I could switch out the stand. But I like just emptied out 80% of the water to move it out from the wall some more lol.

Maybe I could look into building something sturdier for the future. The only thing I like about it is its shape. The rest is meh.

I attached some photos so you guys can maybe see the full extent of the issue. Ignore the fact that there are no plants. I am soaking them because they are silk plants and the algae stains them. I just measured it and the tank is 4.7 inches away from the wall.

Attachments

• 1437925452133.jpg
    1437925452133.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 1437925499919.jpg
    1437925499919.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 1437925520064.jpg
    1437925520064.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 1437925533547.jpg
    1437925533547.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 43
Food for thought ;
If you add weight to the inside of the stand it will not rock/sway so much do to lower center of gravity?:confused:
Enjoy your new filter!(y)
I just ordered 4 more for my fishroom(2@50,2@70)!:rolleyes:
I run sponge and bio only or sponge and floss in all of mine.

Hmm that might work. Instead of having all of the weight on the top of the stand. Thanks. Yeah I love it so much. I know I need to get fine filter floss for it because the one that came with it is just coarse. I was also thinking of switching out the carbon for purigen. Ive heard a lot of good things about that media. Congrats on your new purchases.

Back
Top Bottom