Filter for 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Filter for 75 gallon mbuna

• Fluval 406

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Eheim 2217

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting a 75 gallon Mbuna tank soon and am currently looking for some filter options. I was thinking maybe the ehiem 2217 or the fluval 406? But I'm worried neither of these have enough filtration or gph for the tank. I have posted a poll, I would appreciate it it if you could vote, and then maybe write a little about why you would chose that filter.:thanks:

I can't comment on the Fluval 406 but I've used over 10 different types of cannister filters and out of all of them the Eheim 2217 is by far the most reliable and easiest to clean I've ever owned.

I have an FX5 and AC 110 on my tank. I like the fluvals for there versatility. Had mine for year and a half and no problems .

Running a 406 on my 75g for over a year. No problems or regrets.

To everyone who voted other, can you please specify what you would buy? And thank you everyone else for your opinion. I am still undecided.

I love my 406 on my 75 gallon tank. It does an amazing job and I don't regret it for a secondit was a little too much flow for all of my plants and angelfish so I made a DIY spray bar for it and its perfect, though with an African cichlid tank you wouldn't need the bar

I have an aqauclear 110 for my 75 gallon. It's a HOB though, not a canister. But, if that's what you prefer, I recommend it.

I just set up a tank like yours no fish yet and I have a Rena 721 and an ac 110. So far they are a awesome. Very quiet. Easy set up. Plenty of space for lots of filter media plus lots of filtration per hour.

Im trying to keep the price a bit lower than an fx5, maybe around the price of a 406

In my recommendation the Eheim 2217 classic canister filter is by far the quietest and reliable filter I have ever had. German engineering is probably the best thing know to man for example look at their cars like Porsche, Mercedes-bens, Opel, Volkswagen, BMW, and Audi all these car companies were manufactured from Germany.

The Eheim classic have been on for ages and their still successful today also for the price of it, I wouldn't regret buying this product. I would definitely go for the Eheim.

I'm running a sunsun hw-304b, I bought it off eBay for $100, and its rated for 525gph, has massive filter trays and a UV sterilizer

Alright, Im leaning towards the 406, but my concern is this is not enough filtration, I guess I will wait for a few more votes on the poll and maybe some more people to chime in, thank you all for your opinion so far.

If you don't overstock... which with mbuna that may be hard, you should be fine with a 406. Like I said before, I have a moderately stocked 75g (was close to overstocked when I had my geos) and it has been running rock steady for a year with no spikes. Keep up on water changes and you'll be fine.

I have a 75g brackish and I have a eshopps wet/dry with a mag7 pump and a marineland 200 bio-wheel hob. Keep the water very clear and I only clean the filters out maybe once a month. Sometimes I go two months.

Yeah, That's the Issue, I know I will need to slightly overstock with mbuna, So I was looking for some over filtration, Maybe If I need I should just add a AC70 HOB with polyfill for some additional tunrover.

I think I want to get the fluval 406, but should I also get a HOB like an AC70 to add some extra gph? Or is this enough already for mbuna cichlids?

I think I want to get the fluval 406, but should I also get a HOB like an AC70 to add some extra gph? Or is this enough already for mbuna cichlids?

I would get another filter like a hob that does around 250-350 gph. That should put you up into an 8 times turn over. With.just the 405 your doing a little over 4.

Well I can get the ehiem 2217 for 130 dollars or the fluval for 160, fluval is rated 383 gph with out media, and the ehiem is rated 264 with media, so Im not sure what to get anymore. I may be able to afford the ehiem plus HOB

Back
Top Bottom