Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wanting to get everyones opinion on the best filter for a 125 gallon cichlid tank. I've researched the Rena, Fluval, Magnum, and Eheim canister filters... Looks like the Eheim is pretty popular and they are all really basically the same price.. So which do you think would be better suited for my tank?

I currently have Auqaclear on my 44 pentagon and for my 55. So far they have worked well for me.. Buy I figured with the bigger tank it might be better if I changed to canister?

... Thoughts, suggestions, all appreciated! Thank you!

Rena and Fluval are both good and make awesome canisters. I personally can't comment on the Rena's but I do hear good things about them. I have the Fluval FX5 and love it, I also run a AC110 on my tank as well.

A canister will be the way to go.

I'm curious to see all the responses and different opinions on this subject.

Here's the Fluval Fx5.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=17320

Here's a decent read.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/toppicksfilters/tp/canfilter.htm

Good luck!

Man I thought this thread would have taken off, we'll... So far it's the Rena and the Fluval. I'll just add like Andy did, I personally like to have a HOB even though I have a canister. It allows quick and easy access when you wanna change out media for certain things like polishing pads, carbon etc...

The Rena XP-3 is an excellent filter. Been using them for many years, and love them. Move water well, and very dependable. I run 2 XP-3, and 2 AC 110's on my 125 overstocked Rainbow tank.

Wow! I didnt think id need that many filters.. especially if I had 2 filters where 1 is recommended for up to 175 gallons! I didn't want to spend a small fortune on filters! :( The tank came with 3 magnum 350's but the tubes and bio wheels were trashed.. so I pitched them and they need motors.... I'm so stuck on what I should do... I could get 2 AC110's for the price of 1 Rena or Fluval! I want to get a good filter but I don't want to sell my kidney for it! Lol :)

Maybe start out with the 2 AC110's, then add the canister filters in the future. If you don't have a huge bio- load, the 2 hob's will handle it until you can add a canister. I try to have enough filtration to turn over the capacity of the tank at least 10 times per hour. Just my quirk;)

Mommaof4boys said:
Wow! I didnt think id need that many filters.. especially if I had 2 filters where 1 is recommended for up to 175 gallons! I didn't want to spend a small fortune on filters! :( The tank came with 3 magnum 350's but the tubes and bio wheels were trashed.. so I pitched them and they need motors.... I'm so stuck on what I should do... I could get 2 AC110's for the price of 1 Rena or Fluval! I want to get a good filter but I don't want to sell my kidney for it! Lol :)

For the fish you want your supposed to filter 8-10 times of the size of the tank. But its well worth it ;)

8-10 x turnover primarily is for hob filters and I feel its outdated due to better filters. I run xp3 and xp4 on my 125. I originally had 3 hob filters but got tired of rinsing and maintaining the filters frequently. My tank was fine with the hob's. Start with those, u can always upgrade. Ur tank won't crash or nothing without canisters. Good luck!!!

You could easily do a Fluval FX5 and the advantage of that is you have alot more space for various media's. I have a 220g and run a FX5 and Fluval 406 so I know a FX5 will filter a 125 just fine.

I had 2 Fluval fx5's on my 180 gallon predator tank and it did wonders :) maintenance can be a pain but once u get the hang of it, its a breeze.

I never thought the maintenance on the FX5's were bad it's just they are heavy for a woman. Otherwise I always thought they were a breeze to hook up, unhook, and clean. Plus there is so much room for media in them, thats what I really like.

Rivercats said:
I never thought the maintenance on the FX5's were bad it's just they are heavy for a woman. Otherwise I always thought they were a breeze to hook up, unhook, and clean. Plus there is so much room for media in them, thats what I really like.

Well I guess I say that bc the first time I did it, I got water all over the place haha they are great filters tho

Yeah, I thought I closed the valve once, which I had already closed, got distracted and openned it, then removed the tube from the filter... can you say water... man it comes out fast! Now I don't let myself get distracted when servicing it!

Rivercats said:
Yeah, I thought I closed the valve once, which I had already closed, got distracted and openned it, then removed the tube from the filter... can you say water... man it comes out fast! Now I don't let myself get distracted when servicing it!

Yeah you really have to pay attention or you will have a mess on your hands haha AND for the OP whatever filter you go with, READ the INSTRUCTIONS!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom