Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once the old one starts falling apart. And then you would want to keep most of the media from the old filter to keep some BB to seed the new filter.

What filter do you have?

It's a bio bag filter cartridge and how would I "seed" a new one

I personally would cut the old floss off of the old plastic frame, i would dump the carbon from the floss, and i would stick the old floss in before the new cartridge.

This video also gives a better alternative to using cartridges and all the information that she says is true. I person ally have been doing this mod with my filter.
How to: Using filter media instead of cartridges - YouTube

Tank Media Maintenance

When should you change your filter

Hello Jas...

If you make a habit of changing large amounts of tank water every week or so, you don't need to service the filters more than once every couple of weeks, if that often. By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank weekly, the filters simply move water that's already pure. The filter system doesn't get much wear and tear.

I change half the water in my tanks every week or two and service the filters about once a month. Then, I squeeze out the media and put it all back in. I use a heavy poly fiber in my filters and you can squeeze it out several times before it starts to fall apart. At this point, you cut a new piece and loss the old stuff.

B

Back
Top Bottom