Filter suggestion for new 105 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa1977

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys !
I just bought a 105 gallon tank.
I just wanted to find out ideas on how to filter my new tank. I currently have a 304 Fluval filter (suppose to be efficient up to 70 gallon)... and I am wondering if I should add another filter or just get a stronger new one. If so, wich brand are you recommending me.
Thank you
:)

I have no experiene in canisters(and with 105 gallons you'll want a canister for sure), but I think the preferred canister here on AA is The Rena Filstar XP series. I believe and an XP2 or XP3 would be right for that tank depending on whether you prefer to overfilter your tanks or not.

I have fluvals on all my tanks and I love them. Rather than adding a bigger only cannister another cannister of the same size would work best. How long is your tank? On bigger tanks I like to have filtration on both sides of the tank, same as I have 2 heaters on both sides of the tank.

I also have a XP3 which is proving to be a good filter as well.

Two fluvals will be fine on that tank. I run a fluval FX5 and a 404 on my 125 cichlid tank with no trouble. I find 2 filters keeps a tank that size cleaner and provides more even water flow. Less dead spots.

I use two xp3 in my aquarium. I perfur not to use one big filter for the hole tank. In my eyes it just does not seem to work that well. Same goes with the heaters one on each side of the tank.

I have a 100 gallon tank and run two canister filters, that way I can always have one running. I alt. on the cleaning that way I always have a strong bacteria/biological filtration even if I have to replace some of the filter media. Plus you never know when one is going to malfunction.

Two XP3's or equivalents would be nice. That way they're light enough to carry when they're full after you disconnect them.

Good for you, good luck and I'm sure you will find those filters great. Do clean them on alternating schedules as mentioned to keep the cycle strong.

Back
Top Bottom