Filtration 40gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Txredneck29

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 40gal tank tropical setup, according to aqua advisor I have 225% filtration. But I rum a marine land penguin 350 power filter and a fluval 306 canister filter.

My main question is how often should I clean the canister filter and what inside it needs to be replaced and with what items would be best?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I currently have a 40gal tank tropical setup, according to aqua advisor I have 225% filtration. But I rum a marine land penguin 350 power filter and a fluval 306 canister filter.

My main question is how often should I clean the canister filter and what inside it needs to be replaced and with what items would be best?

I clean my canister filter every 2 weeks and i just wash the filter pads and and replace the ceramic rings and clean the pouches of carbon.

That's all I was informed about was to leave the ceramics alone. But I guess I'm more curious of all the different things that can be bought and how many slots this filter has I'm not sure what each different thing does also what order It should go in the canister.... is one setup better than another?

I'm not familiar with that specific canister so I cant answer anything about how much it will hold or layout.

The different options available range from bio pads and sponges or thick floss which essentially are just foam/synthetic fibers weaved together that holds bacteria and catches debris. More and less coarse varieties of this are used and often mixed. For chemical filtration most people just use carbon but it has the downside of needing replaced every 30 days. I'm a big advocate of a product from Seachem called purigen. It is an alternative to carbon that does more for removal as well as lasts about 6 months. It can also be "recharged" and used again but I usually just replace it. There is an assortment of ceramic rings and balls and cones designed solely to house good bacteria. I'm sure others can add more about your specific setup.

Loving all the replies. I normally only get to talk to people at a local pets mart and to me just seems like they are just another employee most of the time and nothing against them but I like to have answers fro. Others who actually have tanks and all of that lol. I have herd about purigen as well any certain place to purchase?

Bud there's a great video on YouTube to show you the specific order each box goes. I can't put a link because I'm on my data and don't want to waste it all :p but just search YouTube fluval 306 review. I think it is second result. It's a 5 or 6 minute video with a middle aged man. Btw, how do you like the filter ? Would you mind taking a pick of the placement in your tank so I can see how much room it takes? I am thinking of purchasing the same one. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For my 65g, I have a pre-filter on my canister intake, so no big debris get inside my canister. I skip fine filter pads in it, and I haven't cleaned it in over a month now. Flow is still very good, but algae is building up on the exhaust tube. I'm trying to clean my canister once a month or every other month. I'm still on a trying out things stage. It has ceramic rings, Eheim substract pro and coarse sponge inside.

My AC110 gets a sponge, fine filter pad and carbon and need weekly or even twice a week cleaning of the fine filter pads.

Bud there's a great video on YouTube to show you the specific order each box goes. I can't put a link because I'm on my data and don't want to waste it all :p but just search YouTube fluval 306 review. I think it is second result. It's a 5 or 6 minute video with a middle aged man. Btw, how do you like the filter ? Would you mind taking a pick of the placement in your tank so I can see how much room it takes? I am thinking of purchasing the same one. Thanks

I love the setup I started this tank with just the marineland penguin 350 and it was fine on its own and about one month In I added the fluval 306 and it's done even more amazing for clarity.

1. First pic is of marineland penguin 350 power filter with the intake tube for the fluval 306 on the left and the discharge on the right

2.second photo is showing the intake tube inside the tank it's hard to see.

3. Third pic is discharge from canister filter

4. Fourth pic is the fluval 306 canister itself tucked away in the cabinet under tank. Very small in size .

Attachments

• 1431030040694.jpg
    1431030040694.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 1431030123120.jpg
    1431030123120.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 1431030174341.jpg
    1431030174341.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 1431030223943.jpg
    1431030223943.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 58
Sorry not sure why pics uploaded sideways also some of full tank in view

Attachments

• 1431030491908.jpg
    1431030491908.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 1431030515791.jpg
    1431030515791.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1431030540579.jpg
    1431030540579.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 48
Cool seems like a good fit for me. By the way, awesome tank! Looks great :D

Thank you! My 2nd tank I ever had. Started with a 10gal glofish tank only kept for 1 month. Before I got this 40 so ita my first real actual setup still have a ton to learn and here is my newest project I just picked it up bout 4 hours ago

100 gal bow front but needs serious cleaning first.

Attachments

• 1431055167031.jpg
    1431055167031.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 48
Oh man the possibilities of a 100g's. Really wish I had the space. The largest I have is a 29 g in the works, 10 gal semi and 5 gal planted. Is that fire truck aquarium safe?

I don't even know what to do with it yet right now I have to get all the bad hard water stains out of it but it was free lol and yes the truck is safe got it from petsmart in the decoration section lol I was in the fire service for 10 yrs lol so had to have it when I saw it. I need to figure out what's going on in that tank tho seems the top of my fake plants jn there are turning brown

Oh man so it was perfect that's great. Some vinegar and water should take the stains right out. If you love the work maybe you should go for a natural planted look. It's another thing to love and care for besides your fish :D and sounds like algae. Maybe reduce hours of light or get some SAE or other algae eating fish depending on the type of algae

Haha indeed couldn't pass it up lol.

And I'll look into that , and I have 2 SAE and. Chinese alge eater in that tank right now. I just bought some new lights for the tank as well..... during day time I run the whites after sun goes down I run actinic lights till I go to bed does it matter which lights are on or talking about less light all together?

Wow* you have two SAE's and still a problem? I think they are more string algae eaters. What about the Chinese? And let's say you keep you lights on from morning to night, say 14 hours. If I were you I would cut hours off. Maybe around 11? Also, if you have a timer and are able to control it remotely, setting the light in cycles is good. If you are at work or something or there is any other time when your tank is really being looked at, set the timer to turn it off that time everyday for about 4 hours. That way, CO2 will replenish because no photosynthesis is occurring. The only thing that prospers with light and no CO2 is Algae.

Its usually suggested to keep lights to about 8 hours depending on strength of lights. 10-11 hours could probably work.

Also footnote on the Chinese Algae Eater, do a quick search about them on here. As they get big they get mean and can suck the slime coat off fish and kill them. Just a heads up.

I have 2 SAE and 1 CAE and I'm about to have new lights on this tank one light is a 36" finnex all actinic and then another 36" fennix that's the combo daylight and actinic and all my alge eaters I got as babies now they are growing

Back
Top Bottom