Filtration for my 90 gallon Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbobruk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys, I would like some help on choosing filtration for my 90 gallon tank that will be housing 2 Oscars. I have an aquaclear 500 currently, and I found a deal for another ac 500 for 53 bucks, I was wondering if this was enough of a turn over rate to house 2 O's, I know they are messy. I also am running a sponge filter that is about 6" in diameter, and I will be adding another pretty soon.

I would like to just do a sump, but the tank is an old 1/2" glass aquarium, and I don't want to drill.

Any help is appreciated, this is my first fish tank!:fish2:

I know pretty much nothing about sumps but i THINK you can get overflow boxes that will allow you to have a sump without drilling

Yeah you can, but I'd like to stay away from them for now. I have the tank on the top floor of my home, and i'd like to keep the weight minimal. Also, i have heard horror stories of overflow boxes overflowing (that sounds weird), which I am also worried about being on the top floor.

Basically, I am wondering if 2 ac110's will be enough filtration, or if I should buck up and purchase a canister such as the fluval 405/6

Hi i would add the second filter and that should be sufficient. The main problem with bigger messy fish is you need good solid filters,so the you may need to 'tweak' your filters - taking out some of the finer media and replacing with larger media or more bio media. Also with big fish its imperative to keep up with the water changes and control your urge to feed more, Oscar's will train 'you' to feed them more:fish1:
Also keep the decor to a minimum,keep the substrate very shallow,this is to help keep the tank cleaner.

cbobruk said:
Hello guys, I would like some help on choosing filtration for my 90 gallon tank that will be housing 2 Oscars. I have an aquaclear 500 currently, and I found a deal for another ac 500 for 53 bucks, I was wondering if this was enough of a turn over rate to house 2 O's, I know they are messy. I also am running a sponge filter that is about 6" in diameter, and I will be adding another pretty soon.

I would like to just do a sump, but the tank is an old 1/2" glass aquarium, and I don't want to drill.

Any help is appreciated, this is my first fish tank!:fish2:

What's the ac rated for? I've got a fluval fx5 and a hob. My water is crystal clear. I love my canister

A sump would help a lot if you can drill. Filter socks are the best mechanical filter and easiest to clean.

After some research, I believe I am going to order another ac110 from petsolutions, and also order a sunsun/perfect canister and load it up with bio media. That way, I'll have 2 ac's for mech and the canister for my bio.

Back
Top Bottom