Finally have my stock decided. What are your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, so after all my posts, I have it pretty dialed in.
I have a short term plan, and a long term plan (in 3-4 months).

I will give you info on both tanks-

30 Gallon:
18w 24" flourescent
Black gravel substrate
Lightly planted (javas)
1 Lava rock, 1 cave, 1-2 coral pieces.
Aquaclear 50

55 Gallon:
No bulbs yet, but plan on higher output and moderately planted
Pool filter sand

Now here are my fish choices-

For right now, I am thinking I will overstock my small, and move some out when my Large is completed in about 4 months. Here are my thoughts (keep in mind these are all small/medium at the time)-

30 Gallon-
2 Mated Angels (will get 5, take back 3)
2 Dwarf Fire Gouramis
1 Red Tailed Shark
1 Pleco
4-6 Mollies (Black, Silver Lyretail)
6 Barbs (Not sure if I want Checkered, Cherry, or Barbus pentazona pentazona)

I know that sounds crowded, so give me suggestions. Which barb would work best here? After about 4 months, I am planning on removing the Red Tailed Shark, and 2 Angels, and placing them in the 55 Gallon. I might take the Pleco and put him in there too. It all depends on what kind of pleco I get. If it is larger, I will put him in the 55, if smaller, I might keep him in the 30.

So, my final list (in 4 months) will look like this-

30 Gallon-
2 Dwarf Fire Gouramis
4-6 Mollies
6 Barbs (again, dont know which kind yet)

If I move the pleco, I think I might do 3 cories in the 30 gallon (would that work), or I might just keep the pleco there. Also, I might add 4-6 male guppies in the 30 gallon after I move the Angels and RTS out.

55 Gallon-
2 Angels
1 Red Tailed Shark
1 possible pleco
I will plan my stock of this later on (and will post likely put the shark and a few other fish in first, then the Angels last).

How does it sound ya'll? All the fish I included in my 30 gallon like dark substrate and light planting w/ moderate cover (which is why I cant do light sand). My 55 Gallon is sand, so I will plan on fish that dont care about substrate, or like lighter colors.

Opinions and suggestions?

Your 4 month plan sounds good. I would put the pleco in the 55 and get the cories for the 30 gal. Keep in mind the cories will not eat algae but they are so cute it is impossible to resist.

i mentioned this in one of your other posts...The gouramis may start to nip at eachother. I have heard of them getting along and experinced them not getting along at all. Just keep your eye on them. I would suggest getting females if you can.

Zagz said:
Your 4 month plan sounds good. I would put the pleco in the 55 and get the cories for the 30 gal. Keep in mind the cories will not eat algae but they are so cute it is impossible to resist.

Gouramis and Barbs shouldnt pick on them I assume?
And with the light plants and only 18w bulb (away from windows) shouldnt have much, if any algae growth, right? And if there is any, the mollies should clean it up.

What do you think about 4-6 guppies in the 30 gallon after the 4 months?

I have cories and gourami's together and no problems, the gouramis don't even seem to notice the cories. Barbs could be problematic if you were to get tiger barbs IMO. There are more peaceful barbs, once you are closer to deciding on the type of barbs an opinion can be offered.

Zagz said:
Barbs could be problematic if you were to get tiger barbs IMO. There are more peaceful barbs, once you are closer to deciding on the type of barbs an opinion can be offered.
Andyvette said:
6 Barbs (Not sure if I want Checkered, Cherry, or Barbus pentazona pentazona)

So which of those 3 would be best (they all seem nice) Penazona's look awesome

Zagz said:
I have cories and gourami's together and no problems, the gouramis don't even seem to notice the cories. Barbs could be problematic if you were to get tiger barbs IMO. There are more peaceful barbs, once you are closer to deciding on the type of barbs an opinion can be offered.

I had 1 Gold Gourami and some Tiger Barbs with some Panda Cories. The Gourami never bothered the Cories but the Tigers harassed the Cories so much I had to move them (Cories) to another tank.

MTH

Just to comment on a particular species: Not sure what your experience with Mollies are, but I'm strongly considering returning the 3 black mollies I've had for about 8 months. They are extremely hardy, but I feel like they just eat too much of the food and pollute the tank/substrate. (I'm currently treating a Panda Cory for severe fin rot due to the amount of waste the mollies "dump" on the bottom.) For me, I think I want to try the GBR route just for fun and hopefully get some healthy ones that survive for a while because I've had my eye on them for months, but I just feel like the mollies don't mesh well with my other small schooling fish that eat much less and don't create the "bio-hazard" that the mollies do. :)

On the other hand they are a very active, entertaining and gregarious fish

pwrflpills said:
Just to comment on a particular species: Not sure what your experience with Mollies are, but I'm strongly considering returning the 3 black mollies I've had for about 8 months. They are extremely hardy, but I feel like they just eat too much of the food and pollute the tank/substrate. (I'm currently treating a Panda Cory for severe fin rot due to the amount of waste the mollies "dump" on the bottom.) For me, I think I want to try the GBR route just for fun and hopefully get some healthy ones that survive for a while because I've had my eye on them for months, but I just feel like the mollies don't mesh well with my other small schooling fish that eat much less and don't create the "bio-hazard" that the mollies do. :)

On the other hand they are a very active, entertaining and gregarious fish

What is a GBR? What about Platys as a substitute?

Back
Top Bottom