Fire Eel Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RhieCruz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i purchased a 4inch fire eel for my freshwater aquarium which is 40 gal. At the time of the purchase i was unaware that it is "recommended" to use sand or soft gravel for the eels because they habitually bury themselves. What i have in my tank is regular blue aquarium gravel. My fire eel however does have one primary rock -cave he has claimed as his own, as well as several driftwood of varying sizes. Ive had him ( assuming hes a boy :) for about a 2 weeks now and so far so good. I watch him constantly and check to see if he has any wounds and he appears to be healthy ( although i dont believe ive witnessed him eat his bloodworms yet ). My question is this, is there anyone out there who was / is able to maintain a healthy fire eel with regular aquarium gravel ? and if so how long did your eel last ? thanks so much :)

Uhhhh...you're going to need a bigger tank...like 2.5 times in about a year I would say...

The gravel will pose a problem since it may damage the eel and potentially lead to fin rot, infection, etc. As far as feeding goes, try feeding it an hour or so after lights off. They are nocturnal hunters by nature. I'd agree that you will eventually need a larger tank for it, but the more pressing issue is the gravel IMO.

I don't know if fire eels burrow more than tt eels but I've had my tt eel for about a year now and he's in a gravel substrate. I have an upside down terra cotta pot he calls home and when he comes out at feeding time i always check his fins, gills and eyes and he seems really healthy.
Btw. Juvenile spiney eels will more than double their weight and length in a year...

Back
Top Bottom