First Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I finally made the jump and switched the HOB filter to an XP1 on my 20 gallon. I did have a few questions about how it is all setup though.

First, it came with the packet of activated carbon but it doesn't look like there is room in the filter for it to fit with the foam pads (only for XP1 mind you). I was just curious if anyone has figured a way to add it or if you have to remove the pads to add it (in which case I probably won't bother as I prefer the foam over the carbon)?

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to rig up my inline co2 reactor to the output side of the filter and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for putting it together? The main problem is that I have to have it in an N formation for the reactor to work properly but tight bends don't let itself well to proper flow.

thanks much!

As for the carbon, no need for it. I never used mine. As for the CO2 reactor, could do it on the intake. And if you think it will get all mucky inside, then you could always put a sponge pre-filter over the intake.

I've actually found carbon to be great at giving my water an exceptionally crystal clear look (it's role is to remove chemical impurities in the water, which differs from removing fine particles in the water which is what floss is for and what people claim is all you need: the two perform totally different roles however).
In a river tank setup where your water needs to be near enough drinkable to humans (lol, I exaggerate but you get the point) it's been essential for me.

It is, however, a royal pain in the ass if you ever need to medicate. Opening up a canister filter, taking it out, medicating, and then repeating to put it back in can be an irritating experience :p

Now if you have a planted tank, like I do, you don't want carbon in the system. It will take away some of the things the plants need. Also, carbon is only good for a couple weeks. Do you open your canister every couple weeks to replace it? Just remember that after a couple weeks, it's just like not even having carbon in the system. And as for water clarity, I use no carbon and my water is probably just as clear as yours.

lol, i know there is a debate about the merits of carbon (or otherwise) but I'm only going on my own experience, as I know you are too :)
I run it in two planted tanks (among others) one of which actually requires plants to be pruned every two weeks or so to curb overgrowth which blocks a lot of the light, so in my experience carbon hasn't hindered the plants.
While plants benefit from phosphates in the aquarium, it's light which is the dominant factor in determining growth so I'm unsure how carbon could risk their development.

The activated carbon in my tetratec EXs actually runs out once a month. I usually look in on the cleanliness of them around that time anyway so it's not so much of a hassle replacing the bag :)

the factor in how long carbon lasts is the quality of carbon.

not all carbon is created equal. you get what you pay for with carbon. you can get cheaper made carbon, but it wont last long and may nto even clean your water very well.

i would recommend the marineland activated carbon. its expensive but very effective. my water is crystal clear, and my plants are flourishing.

so i dont know whats going on with carbon and plants but my plants seem to love my water.

Back
Top Bottom