First in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I hope you all aren't mad, but which of these fish can be added first into a newly cycled 55 tank. (I am set on having this thread having less than 3 pages.)

12 Neon Tetras
6 Corydoras Catfish
6 MALE Mollies
1 Gold Gourami
1 Blue (Three-Spot) Gourami
1 or 2 Albino Bristlenose Plecostamus

Which fish can be added first?

Mollies r brackish water fish so they wont work with your stock. As for what to add first I don't think it matters as long as u introduce them slowly.

Ps people think they r freshwater but they were first found in brackish.

Well the good news is most of those fish are pretty sturdy.

The Corys & Plecos would be the most likely to survive.

Neons are a common choice due to being cheap.

Mollies r brackish water fish so they wont work with your stock. As for what to add first I don't think it matters as long as u introduce them slowly.

I know they were brackish, but I am in touch with many who have successfully kept them in fresh water, including my brother.

Well the good news is most of those fish are pretty sturdy.

The Corys & Plecos would be the most likely to survive.

Neons are a common choice due to being cheap.
Neons are also very pretty. If you can find a small fish that does not have a break-the-bank price tag to replace Neons, let me know.

An alternative option I had was to have very few fish, the few fish having to coexist with a African Brown Knife fish, Bichir, or eel, but I had previously dismissed this option as these fish a difficult to keep.

phoenixkiller said:
I know they were brackish, but I am in touch with many who have successfully kept them in fresh water, including my brother.

IME they can live in fresh but there life is cut in half it's like putting a Betta in a bowl it will work but not log term IMO.

Neons are also very pretty. If you can find a small fish that does not have a break-the-bank price tag to replace Neons, let me know.

An alternative option I had was to have very few fish, the few fish having to coexist with a African Brown Knife fish, Bichir, or eel, but I had previously dismissed this option as these fish a difficult to keep.

Ah sorry I misinterpreted your OP, thought you were doing a fish in cycle and was asking which fish to start with sorry :facepalm:.

To answer your actual question, any would be fine but only add maybe half to begin with and half in a weeks time.

I haven't heard of really anyone putting mollies in bw tanks. Only fw. It isn't a problem, if they will breed in fw, they are happy enough to live long term.

Ah sorry I misinterpreted your OP, thought you were doing a fish in cycle and was asking which fish to start with sorry :facepalm:.

To answer your actual question, any would be fine but only add maybe half to begin with and half in a weeks time.
Yes, I will only add 3-4 fish per weekto not overload the beneficial bacteria.

calfishguy said:

Not all mollies. They can be brackish or FW. It just depends on if they were sold in brackish or plain FW. They can be switched, but it is hard and takes a long time to slowly acclimate them.

If it were me I would start with the tetras etc and end with the bottom feeders - giving more time for the tank to develop some algae and etc... But that's just me. Actually, if it were me I would have this great plan and then fall in love with something at the store and then screw everything up. Don't do that! ;)

If it were me I would start with the tetras etc and end with the bottom feeders - giving more time for the tank to develop some algae and etc... But that's just me. Actually, if it were me I would have this great plan and then fall in love with something at the store and then screw everything up. Don't do that! ;)
Ha ha! I think we all at one time had an impulse buy, and learned our lesson well! I congratulate you as being the first one to tell me what fish should be added first. Thank you, thank you all!!:thanks:

Generally speaking, you want to add the most aggressive/territorial fish last, after all other fish have claimed their space in the tank. In your case, I don't think it matters much as you have peaceful species.

Back
Top Bottom