first time dad help (bnp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper90

Aquarium Advice Freak
overnight our smallest female laid eggs with our smallest male who is a first time dad ... wanting a bit of advice ... he has been fanning the eggs however he keeps coming out of the cave for a bit swimming around tank but he does keep going back in the cave for few mins then coming back out ... should we just leave him to it as he keeps going back in and fanning etc the other male seems to not be interfering or trying to go in the cave so they seem to be safe from him and the females not bothering either .... i dont really want to take the eggs away as he first time dad and dont want it happening every time in future if take them away and he cant learn ( about 30 eggs) how to look after future batches unless i really have to

overnight our smallest female laid eggs with our smallest male who is a first time dad ... wanting a bit of advice ... he has been fanning the eggs however he keeps coming out of the cave for a bit swimming around tank but he does keep going back in the cave for few mins then coming back out ... should we just leave him to it as he keeps going back in and fanning etc the other male seems to not be interfering or trying to go in the cave so they seem to be safe from him and the females not bothering either .... i dont really want to take the eggs away as he first time dad and dont want it happening every time in future if take them away and he cant learn ( about 30 eggs) how to look after future batches unless i really have to
Don't worry. There was obviously not much way for his dad to teach. It's instinctive abd he will be a good Papa( so will you ). He may swim out during feeding time a little, but he'll keep those eggs oxygenated and dusted off. Now you have just enough time to worry about your filter. The intake tube will be dangerous. Go to a pharmacy or even a dollar store and get a pair of ladies knee high nylon stockings. Slip one over the intake and ribber band it in place. The filter will still work and no fry will get sucked up. Good luck.

Don't worry. There was obviously not much way for his dad to teach. It's instinctive abd he will be a good Papa( so will you ). He may swim out during feeding time a little, but he'll keep those eggs oxygenated and dusted off. Now you have just enough time to worry about your filter. The intake tube will be dangerous. Go to a pharmacy or even a dollar store and get a pair of ladies knee high nylon stockings. Slip one over the intake and ribber band it in place. The filter will still work and no fry will get sucked up. Good luck.
he not coming out for feeding he just in and out swimming about ... and with regards to the filter we got a small tank set up for the babies to go in once they hatched with a small external on that but used a bit of an old net to put on the out take so got no worries in that part ... i have also pulled some babies out the breeding tank a week after we put them in the smaller tank .... they will be going back into the bigger tank once they too big to get sucked up the filter out take .... we got smaller tank as there 5 adults (and 4 babies from our last breeding dad mum still in tank with new lot) in the big tank and need the suction to not be slowed down to keep all tests down ... our first batch hatched nearly 3 weeks ago so they can probably be taken out in a week or 2 if they keep growing the way they are they will be too big for filter gaps

this our 6th batch of eggs/babies 3 from our brown male and lemon female (when we only had one pair) and now this is 3rd batch in a month with our lemons (brown male been put back in main tank so he been retired lol) lemons are so hard to find here in uk from what we been seeing and reading so we started with the lemons as we already had a lemon female so got 4 more (should have been 1 male 2 females but the person we got them from gave us an extra male ... who is now dad to this batch) we are now on look out for 2 or 3 more lemon females to even it out but like i say its so hard to find them

this our 6th batch of eggs/babies 3 from our brown male and lemon female (when we only had one pair) and now this is 3rd batch in a month with our lemons (brown male been put back in main tank so he been retired lol) lemons are so hard to find here in uk from what we been seeing and reading so we started with the lemons as we already had a lemon female so got 4 more (should have been 1 male 2 females but the person we got them from gave us an extra male ... who is now dad to this batch) we are now on look out for 2 or 3 more lemon females to even it out but like i say its so hard to find them
I'm not familiar with the tropical fish business on the U.K., but there seem to be dozens of pet and/or Aquarium shops within a 30 Kilometer radius of where I live in U.S. You're been very fortunate then so far to have acquired the specimens that you have. Good Luck

I'm not familiar with the tropical fish business on the U.K., but there seem to be dozens of pet and/or Aquarium shops within a 30 Kilometer radius of where I live in U.S. You're been very fortunate then so far to have acquired the specimens that you have. Good Luck
we got a few shops close by to where i am but they dont have blue eyed lemons and if they do they label them albino lol .... it seems the only way to get them is buy off breeders or people selling privatly but there not ever really available as they so hard to get hold of people keep them

we got a few shops close by to where i am but they dont have blue eyed lemons and if they do they label them albino lol .... it seems the only way to get them is buy off breeders or people selling privatly but there not ever really available as they so hard to get hold of people keep them
If they are that difficult to obtain, I can understand other's wanting to keep their offspring...or perhaps would want a large amount of money for them. Good luck with finding more and with your own breeding.

If they are that difficult to obtain, I can understand other's wanting to keep their offspring...or perhaps would want a large amount of money for them. Good luck with finding more and with your own breeding.
thanks ... we paid £50 for 1 adult male 1 adult female and 2 juvies which ended up being 1 male 1 female (mum and dad of batch first time for both) so tbh we got a bargain

thanks ... we paid £50 for 1 adult male 1 adult female and 2 juvies which ended up being 1 male 1 female (mum and dad of batch first time for both) so tbh we got a bargain
If I'm not mistaken, that's about $60.00 in U.S. currency. If I'm correct, that sounds about what we would pay here for to same fish.

Back
Top Bottom