First to bring to my dorm.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
greenmaji said:
I dont see how the average person could tell by looking at a 10 gallon tank that it isnt a 5 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

what do you mean? I can usually tell at a glance approximately what size a tank is. I was just visiting my cousins house and they got a new tank set up and i said "oh, what's that.. abut a 30 gallon?" and i was right, it was a 29 gallon tank.

I second buying local and setting up a 5 gal with small like fish, as much color as you can.

I don't see how a 5 gallon tank would be more difficult. You can even get those sets that come with everything. I belive Eclipse makes a good 5 gallon (possibly 7?? - nobody would know the difference :twisted:) tank that includes a canopy with light as well as a decent filter.

I got my son a 5 gal tank that is acrylic. It is light and easy to transport when necessary, we don't even remove all the water. A lot of 5 gals come in a kit with a filter. You can get a small heater for the side of the tank.

AshleyNicole said:
greenmaji said:
I dont see how the average person could tell by looking at a 10 gallon tank that it isnt a 5 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

what do you mean? I can usually tell at a glance approximately what size a tank is. I was just visiting my cousins house and they got a new tank set up and i said "oh, what's that.. abut a 30 gallon?" and i was right, it was a 29 gallon tank.

So can I but I said the average person.. :p

unknown_7 said:
AshleyNicole said:
I don't believe in fish "bowls" i think they are cruel. THere is no way to have proper lighting, filtration, and heat in a bowl unless its a huge bowl that comes with the filtration built in or if you are doing a Nano tank.

Firstly, my betta is not in a bowl he is in a jarish looking thing, so if I happened to hint or mention that it is a bowl, it's not. Secondly, this "jar" gives him more space than some betta tanks, elipse or other tanks. I believe that 3 gallons is adquete space for a betta, actually a bit more than adquete since 2 gallons should be the bare minimum, so I know my betta is happy there. Lastly, as I mentioned, it is going to be harder for me to pack a 5 gallon tank than my 3 gallon jar.

i would have to agree with AshleyNicole on this one....having a fish survive is very different from having a fish Thrive....you saying a "jar" doesnt make it sound much better than any bowl, it is still tough to heat and filter, let alone keep the water clean, eh, with the fish the bigger is always the better...if your betta is "happy" in the "jar" then he would be even happier with more room....people tend to say "oh, its a betta, so i can cram it in any space i want because they live in rice patties in inches of water" but these bowls are a joke...i think 3-5 should be a min. for a betta, if youd rather have him thrive as oppossed to just living...just IMO though

I think the thing is .. you already have this "jar" and you are set on keeping it.. which is fine. yes you are limited to a betta in your "3 gallon jar".

i dont think it would be difficult to 'spring' for a 3 gallon tank or even 5g...they are like 5 bucks and usually giveaways in the paper

gohabs9 said:
unknown_7 said:
AshleyNicole said:
I don't believe in fish "bowls" i think they are cruel. THere is no way to have proper lighting, filtration, and heat in a bowl unless its a huge bowl that comes with the filtration built in or if you are doing a Nano tank.

Firstly, my betta is not in a bowl he is in a jarish looking thing, so if I happened to hint or mention that it is a bowl, it's not. Secondly, this "jar" gives him more space than some betta tanks, elipse or other tanks. I believe that 3 gallons is adquete space for a betta, actually a bit more than adquete since 2 gallons should be the bare minimum, so I know my betta is happy there. Lastly, as I mentioned, it is going to be harder for me to pack a 5 gallon tank than my 3 gallon jar.

i would have to agree with AshleyNicole on this one....having a fish survive is very different from having a fish Thrive....you saying a "jar" doesnt make it sound much better than any bowl, it is still tough to heat and filter, let alone keep the water clean, eh, with the fish the bigger is always the better...if your betta is "happy" in the "jar" then he would be even happier with more room....people tend to say "oh, its a betta, so i can cram it in any space i want because they live in rice patties in inches of water" but these bowls are a joke...i think 3-5 should be a min. for a betta, if youd rather have him thrive as oppossed to just living...just IMO though

Your making it seem I am like one of those inexperienced betta owners that stuff my betta in one of those 0.5 gallon betta kits thinking my betta will be happy in it. I think that would we unfair. 2 gallons is the bare minimum by the majority of betta owners and even though I believe that bigger is obviously better, I think that 3 gallons is more than enough space for a betta. I have a little heater by my bettas bowl, that thus far has kept his temperature steady. I do pwc for my betta about every other day so filtration isn't really an issue. Also, if I have a picture of what he is in I would show you, its not exactly a jar or a bowl, or a tank by definition, it is sort this glass bowl/tank looking thing, anyways, my point is that I know my betta was very happy in his environment, and even though your intentions may be good the impression that I am getting is that I am giving my betta the proper care or ideal conditions for him to be happy. Thanks for your post(s).

AshleyNicole said:
oh u mean someone who is not experienced with aquariums.. LOL.

yep.. get a 10 gallon and if they say anything act ingnorant.. :p
"I got it used, they told me it was a 5 gallon"
and so on and so forth.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ok.. not the best advice.. but I bet someone will be trying it at the school.. and I bet unless the people in charge of enforcing that rule have experince with aquaiums they wont have a clue without measureing it and getting common tank dementions..

A 10 gallon cube looks smaller then a standard 5 gallon IMO.. :twisted: :twisted:

ok ok.. Im done.. :p

yeah but he didn't say he couldn't have a 5 or 10 gallon.. just that it would be to hard to pack.

A betta is basically the only fish you can successfully keep inside a 3 gallon :wink:
Edit: and sorry if I am not going with the conversation, I only managed to read the 1st page of this thread.

If I can get a small tank kit for under 25 bucks, I'll buy it, however, I haven't seen any where I live that are in that price range that are livable, IMO, for a betta. I could just get the 10 gallon tank, if they have anymore, but that is going to be twice the size problem than a five gallon. I dunno, I am going to look around tomorrow for someone that sells a cheap starter kit that is at least 3 gallons or more for under 25 bucks if possible.

Back
Top Bottom