Fish Age and Lifespan, comments please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshSaltGirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure if anyone's started a thread that has to do with this, if so - please direct me to it. I'm doing a general survey about freshwater fish lifespans. Some are pretty well known, some not so much. What I'd really like to know is: how long have most of you kept your fish for? Are there some fish you've had around for ages that you're most attached to? Have some fish you've had lived well beyond their life expectancies? Feel free to comment, post pics and share stories!

I'll go first :D

Here is Shadow, my male black lace angel. He had a gorgeous mate back in his day, but she passed on about 2 years ago, who laid eggs about three times, but ate them before I could remove them each time. Shadow is 6 yrs old now, is still spunky, and eats like a pig! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424584384.202305.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424584444.038169.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424584481.181674.jpg

These 2 diamond tetras are 5 yrs old! They are the only ones left from my original school of 6 tetras. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424584582.903413.jpg it's a blurry pic, I know - but they are still very fast! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424584633.923172.jpg

My very first fish was a lonely gold barb. His previous owners told me that he was about 6 years old, and despite all their efforts to get rid of him, including no water changes, not feeding him, etc., he refused to die. There was a goldfish in his tank that had eaten all the other fish, and he was the only one left. After I took him and got 7 more gold barbs, he lived another 6 months.

I got a king Betta about 2 years ago because I saw him sitting in a cup of yellow water at petco. He had severe fin rot. Now here he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks good to me

This came up at our club social last night. One attendee who has a really large tank (around 54,000 gallons) was talking about some of his fish being over 30 years old.

I had longfin blue danios for a little over 2 years. Recently traded them into the LFS because they were boisterous and aggressive.
In 2007 I picked up some Gold Tetras. They lived through 3 different tanks and even a pond one summer. They are going into their 8th year. I don't have any recent pics but here is a video from last year: http://youtu.be/yaDIjtNoNEs

Back
Top Bottom